Yogurt taffy aka yogurt leather

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Kefir smoothies :drool
Frozen bananas and blueberries, egg yolks, Coconut Manna, honey, cinimon.
Best ever!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I have a hard time eating kefir plain, too. If anyone has had the storebought Lifeway brand raspberry kefir.. I can make a thicker, healthier version with the exact same taste, using fresh raw eggs, broccoli, carrots, frozen blueberries from a relative's patch and frozen red and yellow raspberries from the patch at home (plus raw goat milk). YUM!!! even then it's often too sweet for me!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, next question - how does the taste vary knowing I'll have to use pasteurized store-bought milk? I've read the other thread, and see that it's recommended in this case to use the whole milk, and not ultra-pasteurized. I'm still trying to find a source of raw dairy. I've tracked down cow's milk 1-1/2 hrs away, and goat 2 hrs away, but nothing closer - yet.

Stinkin' "only sold for consumption by pets" law....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It is very forgiving. :) I love to make it with pure raw cream...OMG it turns into custard! BLISS!! You can use store bought milks too.

I'm the one that can eat it straight up. I love it!

Do you like cream cheese? Kefir makes a fantastic cream cheese once it is drained. Pour chutney (homemade if you have it) over it and serve with crackers...what a great dip!

eta by drained I meant strained. :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Ok, next question - how does the taste vary knowing I'll have to use pasteurized store-bought milk? I've read the other thread, and see that it's recommended in this case to use the whole milk, and not ultra-pasteurized. I'm still trying to find a source of raw dairy. I've tracked down cow's milk 1-1/2 hrs away, and goat 2 hrs away, but nothing closer - yet.

Stinkin' "only sold for consumption by pets" law....
Since the distance is an issue, go ahead and determine how much you will need for a full month, and when you purchase it, get your milk put into quart jars with at least an inch of headroom.More might be better.
Freeze all except what you are going to use for 4 or 5 days.

Freezing does mess with the fat globules a bit, but its not all that bad.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Here are some better instructions: Spread home made or store bought yogurt on a lightly sprayed Fruit roll sheet. Dry at 130 degrees for approximately 12 to 14 hours.

I'm sure kefir will take longer if you don't strain some of the whey out first.
Nomnomnom! I made some of these in strawberry with stevia granules last month I think? So good!!