You have GOT to be kidding me............

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Help me get my jaw off the floor, will ya?

I just read an article online, from a pretty reliable source, that they are now producing "extra small" condoms specifically for 12 YEAR OLDS!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...oduces-extra-small-condoms-boys-young-12.html

WHERE IN THE H ARE THE PARENTS????????? :th :he

What is soooo scary,is that there is enough of a demand for a company to actually produce and market the things!! :th

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is amazing and a shame. When I was that age, I wasn't even thinking about that stuff. Kids seem to be growing up too quickly now.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah

I read it somewhere to... it is pretty awkward, if you ask me. But maybe I am just a strange fellow with to many "oldschool" oldtime principles. But I am asking... where the heck are we as the human species heading, I mean it is kind of obvious that it is just a disaster waiting to happen. You call me a SOB, and whatever else comes into your mind, I don't mind... but I really think that there should be some limitation as far as having babies comes. I do not mean wheter potential parents are wealthy or not, h*ll no. I am talking about the capability to be a parent, to raise the child to be a human being. Not to be a welfare taking, don't give a .. poop kind of lazy piece of ... heh all right nvm, but you know the drill. It just bugs me, when I see some people around, who are sitting home, with their parents, at age like 24-25 ... "awww couse they can't find a job" . I admit that being 21 I currently moved back in with my parents, but it is due to a life situation, end of march, I am moving back out first to work on a farm belonging to a friend of the family and then probably on my uncles vineyard (picking grapes) and after that, back to studying computer science (programming for that matter). I mean, sure the times are rough, jobs scarce at best, so it is kind of hard to get a decent job, I know, but most of those people don't even try to look, then when they do, they expect a company car, phone, salary higher then the CO of the company and being kissed on the feet that they decided to work for THIS company.. which ain't gonna happen... c'mon be realistic. So they get a pension, being 100% healthy and pump the country as much as they can complaining that the country doesn't provide for them, and IT SHOULD, "I am a citizen it should give me shelter (preferably at least a 400feet condo) free food(daily at least 3 courses with a champagne or beer to sip on) and find a job like the one described above.

I am sorry, but I just have a bad day, and had a talk with a guy like that just the day before. just a little went, hope you don't mind to much.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm betting the parents are too busy trying to be their kid's friend. wow.

i know someone who is a grandma at 40. she doesnt think being the 'cool mom' is so funny now.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know about ya'll but I would have had the ever luvin' poo beat out of me if I ever fooled around with some boy when I was at that age! Then I would have been grounded to my room until I was 18. Then probably thrown out. I dared not even think about anything like that. I learned all about it in elem. when I went to school in Casa Grande AZ in like the 3rd grade. When I moved where I am now, it wasn't nealy so bad. Small town where everyone knew where everyone else's kids were and no one got away with anything! What ever happened to innocence?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
things like this always give me a headache because i'm completely split on the issue.

i don't like the fact that 12 year olds are having sex, but i guess if they are i would like for them to use condoms. then again, even if there are condoms available in creepy child sizes, how many 12 year olds that are having sex will actually have access to said creepy child condoms?

personally, i think the problem is that children aren't educated about sex enough or correctly. back in the day, my sex ed class was about the mechanics, STDs, babies, and "Just Don't Do It." it wasn't effective for most people.

as for who is capable of being parents- there is absolutely NO way to know that before someone actually IS a parent. some wonderful, outstanding citizens are terrible parents who raise the kind of kids you are talking about, kids that don't contribute- to their families or their community. and then there are people who seem like they are total train wrecks who get it all together when their child is born and become not only wonderful parents, but much better people. you just can't know before it happens.

as for where we are headed as a human species... well, that really doesn't have much to do with this issue. the issue of when someone should be sexually active and a candidate for parenthood is a cultural construct. biologically, humans reach sexual maturity around 12-13 years old, so there isn't anything particularly strange about 12 year olds having sex- biologically speaking. historically, sexual maturity equaled adulthood and all the responsibilities that brought with it including parenthood. but the reason that works is that the tribe absorbed some of the responsibility for raising and protecting the baby. and people died a lot younger, so they had to procreate while they had the chance.

with a switch to modern family models where one is mostly reliant on oneself and maybe a partner, we've extended "childhood" much, much further than is probably good for us. because of that, we deem the sexual activity of 12 year olds as perverse. it goes against our culturally assumed models. 12 year olds having babies means that their parents are going to do most of the raising of both children, hearkening back to tribal lifestyles which makes us uncomfortable.

there isn't anything wrong with thinking 12 year olds shouldn't have sex or have babies (i'm with you on that one, at least as far as Western children are concerned- i'm not trying to impose my cultural beliefs on anyone else). but that's because we have conditioned 12 year olds to be children, which biologically and historically they aren't. but if we culturally make them children, we have to protect them as children (that goes up to 18 year olds). it's a very, very complicated issue.

sorry for the lecture. the anthropologist in me can't help itself sometimes.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
jmo, but I think kids should not only be taught "sex ed" (physical side of it) but also the mental, emotional responsibility of it and that it's okay to say no.
True enough kids will be kids and are very curious at that age and are experiencing many changes in hormones, but it doesn't mean they have to act on it.
I agree that 12 (or younger) is way too young and any society catering toward that possibility is doomed/sick in so many ways.

Another thought, if 12 is considered illegal for adults why would it be okay for kids???

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
JMHO here...

When I lived in the city, I knew a african american who had twins, she was at the time 13 y/o. She had been preggers at the age of 12 y/o, the father was at the time 13 y/o and faced no charges because they were the same age and it was consented act.

I know its strange, and my mother would have beaten me/us if any of kids even talked about human sex... Oh we could talk about the animals (word was pro-create) but you better be speaking of it in a context that benefits the farm.

I can personally tell you, I only had to pick myself up off the ground ONCE... I was 13 y/o and had made a joke about sex, mom was listening because I had a big mouth and was being to loud.

(ponders a thought, my sister is still getting tattoos at the age of 43 y/o)

But it is shocking I do admit, I blame the parents....

In Europe, a 16 woman can marry a whatever age man she wants, legally mind you. She can also have sex with anyone she decides she wants to when she is 16 y/o. Some states here in America have that same law including my state of PA.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally, I would never ask "where are your extra-small rubbers". I of course would require the extra-large products.

- Mike, Tucson, USA, 04/3/2010 15:28
Click to rate Rating 2