You know you are SS when . . .

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We got a letter from our insurance company today saying we need to clean up the pile of branches next to the house by 3/21 in order to keep our coverage. I have no idea when they came, but apparently the person didn't have a clue as to what that big pile of branches is. Or should I say was. It's almost all gone now, been cut up, split and burned.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You know you are SS when....

You have to skip your weekly dance class because your ducks are starting to hatch.

You get excited when your neighbor hands you a bag full of dandelions (after all the ducks and chickens LOVE them!)

It's hard to get in and out of your car because the driveway is lined with old feed bags filled with dirt and sweet potato slips

You don't feel the least bit strange about pulling off the side of a busy road to harvest apples falling over the fence of a suburban home that backs the road.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
We got a letter from our insurance company today saying we need to clean up the pile of branches next to the house by 3/21 in order to keep our coverage. I have no idea when they came, but apparently the person didn't have a clue as to what that big pile of branches is. Or should I say was. It's almost all gone now, been cut up, split and burned.
The wood pile perchance?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Denim Deb said:
The wood pile perchance?
That's what I'm thinking. I'll be calling them tomorrow and asking what they're talking about.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know your SS when...

your son gets stung by a bee and instead of running in the house to get the first aid kit, you run around the yard hunting a weed then quickly pick it... chew it up... and spit the green glob out on his sting!

(I love plantain! my mother screamed and thought I was nuts when she seen me do this... but it stopped his pain and swelling instantly! and she became a believer)

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You don't feel the least bit strange about pulling off the side of a busy road to harvest apples falling over the fence of a suburban home that backs the road.

I was so excited to realize a tree in an empty lot next to my veggie store was an English walnut! I had the boys out there with plastic bags the next day--sadly, we were too late and the crows had beat us to them :p I'll catch them next year!

You're ss when you have one "nice" pair of shoes and three pairs of mud boots

you take your vacation time in the fall to preserve all your harvest

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You know you are Self Sufficient when...

You live on a tiny lot in the middle of a BIG city and mention to your work friends that know where you live that you are going pick up your pork on the weekend (meaning from the butcher shop) and EVERY SINGLE one of them thinks you are bringing home a live pig!

The same friends are constantly bring to you at work ... (old Halloween pumpkins, vegetable peels, shredded paper, and funky freezer goods) .. for "your chickens".

You have friends that call you first when ....

1. They have an animal problem (wild or pet)
2. They have a plant problem (ornamental, vegetable or house)
3. They find out they have a food allergy.
4. They are having trouble with a recipe.
5. They have a husband (sister, brother ...) with dry skin.
6. They want info on natural childbirth, or nursing.
7. They are out of ... (soap, jam, eggs, patience)
8. They know of a stock trailer for sale.
9. They find a bargain.
10. They need a jump start.

..... and that was just THIS WEEK!!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*you look at the empty dog treat containers being thrown out at work and quickly rack your braing for animal (or human) food that can be stored in it.

*you find a pile of boxes and question which hen would love which size box, where.

*youre at a restaraunt, the chef comes out and you give him your chickens thanks for that amazing corn they like of his. The next time he sees you, he asks how your chickens liked his food.

*youre out to dinner with friends, after dinner you ask for a large to-go box and scrape everyone plates into the box. Proudly claiming the Susie *loves* shrimp scampi.

*your hubby, who has NEVER been SS and thinks your weird, eyes the veggie scraps being tossed out at the market and asks for a huge bag of them.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
You know your SS when...

your son gets stung by a bee and instead of running in the house to get the first aid kit, you run around the yard hunting a weed then quickly pick it... chew it up... and spit the green glob out on his sting!

(I love plantain! my mother screamed and thought I was nuts when she seen me do this... but it stopped his pain and swelling instantly! and she became a believer)
:woot Nice to meet someone else who knows about plantain! It's the best for bee stings.