You know you are SS when . . .

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
OK, so it's the broad leaf, or common plantain, not the narrow leaf, or English plantain. We have both growing around here.
to be honest I'm not sure if the others work or not... I read an article a few years back saying the weed plantain was good for stings... I have the kind shown in that pic here and tried it once and it worked wonders! The others might work as well might be worth a shot but not sure though... I've only have tried the broad leaf type... I didn't realize there were other types other than some people call banana plants plantain... :hu

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the broad and narrow plantain and they both work.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When you wonder just how many goats would fit in the back of your minivan :lol:

And you decide a lawn is a complete waste of time and space.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
Denim Deb said:
OK, so it's the broad leaf, or common plantain, not the narrow leaf, or English plantain. We have both growing around here.
to be honest I'm not sure if the others work or not... I read an article a few years back saying the weed plantain was good for stings... I have the kind shown in that pic here and tried it once and it worked wonders! The others might work as well might be worth a shot but not sure though... I've only have tried the broad leaf type... I didn't realize there were other types other than some people call banana plants plantain... :hu
I think all told there's like 200 different varieties, but I'm not sure if that's world wide, or in the States. Another use for the English one since it has a long stem on the seed pod is to wrap the stem around itself just below the seed pod, and shoot the seed pod at someone. :hide

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You wonder why all those people in the Hill Country of Texas bought acres of property if they have no animals or garden on them.

When you or one of your animals gets sick, you go to the internet to research herbal remedies before you go to the doctor or vet.

When you try something new and like it, you automatically wonder how to make it yourself.

The whole "animals produce manure and you have to find a way to dispose of it" philosophy of modern farming just puzzles the heck out of you. Likewise the whole "you'll have to buy fertilizer to improve your soil every year" is something you just don't get!

When a friend complains of a health problem or financial problem, the first thing your recommend is a garden.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
You know you are SS when...

you and your hubby fight over who gets the rabbit poop!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You know you are SS when ...

You look at a brand spanking new 18 hole "champion" golf course as a waste of good pasture. :/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Amen sister.. All I do is drive around and look at peoples yards. Such potential!!! I just see veggies everywhere. To bad all they have is grass and weeds.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
You know you are SS when ...

You look at a brand spanking new 18 hole "champion" golf course as a waste of good pasture. :/
I have a bumper sticker that says something along those lines!

My BIL was watching golf yesterday when my OH and I stopped in. I'm not sure where they were playing, some place in the desert. It was, to me at least, horrible. The course was soooo green, and everything around it was so brown and dry. I couldn't help but think about how much water, etc they were wasting on this golf course.