Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey natalie we all want that card!
LOL-LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals
yea what is it about that? I guess the same old saying ---what to make for dinner---cooking to me sure gets old fast.

how many ways can ya make chicken..HA HA HA

I do that....go into the store wanting different and end up paying more for crazy things....LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I finally decided to make soup from my frozen chicken bones and stuff left over from de-boning. So made the soup which is now frozen in mason jars, I picked the chicken meat and ended up with almost 2 cups chicken bits so I made chicken fried rice with some and froze some to use later. Also make chicken salad- one of my favorite fast dinner things. Lots of meals over what had been waste in prior years.

LOL Farmer Chick- just saw your post- next meal will be chicken chow mein, then chicken with imperial sauce, chicken salad, barbeque chicken for sandwiches (add a little sauce to already cooked chicken)- hundreds of chicken receipes.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chicken & dumplings is the easiest/cheapest thing ever, at least the way I make it (which is the way my grandmother made it.)

I didn't make it for years and years because my husband wouldn't eat it. He never tried any of mine, just told me early on in our relationship that his experience with chicken & dumplings was this snotty looking mess they used to serve at his school. So I never bothered to make them. Then finally I made some for ME cause I love them & hadn't had them in ages. He peered over & wanted to try some. He's been hooked ever since. So I try to make a batch every time I have any leftover chicken.

I just boil the chicken or parts or bones in salted water until it looks brothy. The strain the broth out. If there's any chicken to pick off the bones I do that. You can use little tiny pieces, or big bite-size pieces or just broth. Put that in the broth and bring it to a boil.

In a bowl mix self-rising flour and water to a thicker than pancake batter consistency. (note, I have tried adding things to the dumpling batter, but found I like just plain flour & water the best.) I drop this batter into the boiling broth. Anywhere from half to a teaspoon at a time. You can make them bigger or smaller to your taste. Some people like to roll out the dough and make flat dumplings, but my granmother never did and I never have and it seems a huge waste of time to me. I love my puffy dumplings.

Let those keep boiling until they are done. They will all rise up to the top. Then add some milk (just some, I never measure.) Reduce the heat and let it simmer, uncovered until it's as thick as you like. Add plenty of black pepper, especially if you have cold.

That's some good eatin' right there, made with chicken scraps, water, flour & milk. salt & pepper to taste :)

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Enjoy the ride----now you have a slew of recipes and surely can entertain chicken meals in your home for years to come! :)

Cassandra----you made me remember about chicken and dumplings. Tony loves them and since I eat low carb now I just never seem to cook them anymore....well, a treat for Tony. Since it is getting cooler this is a great meal! thanks for the reminder!

Gravelcreekfarms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are seven of us and we spend about $100.00 a week on grocery. I think most of it is on toilet paper. Ha!Ha!
Keep telling the kids that we might have to go back to the four seater outhouse(a.k.a. woodshed) and the JCPenny catalog like back in the day. Now THAT is recycling!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Gravelcreekfarms said:
There are seven of us and we spend about $100.00 a week on grocery. I think most of it is on toilet paper. Ha!Ha!
Keep telling the kids that we might have to go back to the four seater outhouse(a.k.a. woodshed) and the JCPenny catalog like back in the day. Now THAT is recycling!!
The catalogs don't make good TP! ;) In my experience, the Sunday news funny papers are the softest...just crumple them a bit and rub them together...this softens them even more! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Gravelcreek
I always heard the Sears catalog was good for that!

I stock TP when on sale. Never goes bad, never has an expiration date so when it is low priced and I have coupons I go hog wild. I have about 25 double roll packages in the house now..LOL...I know, what is it about TP? LOL----Tony uses it as tissue also so we go thru rolls fast and it drives me nuts.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Since you all are on a roll on the TP subject....

If you have a septic tank all that TP can really pile up down there and around here it is really expensive to have one pumped. We throw any "non-brown" TP into the trash container. When I first started doing this I was amazed at how much piled up in the trash, I mean I knew I had to refill the roll a lot but WOW. I would much rather divert it to the landfill that I already have to pay to use than to have to pay a guy in a truck to suck it out of my tank. There is a decent chance that by diverting so much solids we may never have to call the truck guy in.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know that one works for you....but me, no way I am bagging that TP....LOL-LOL---again just me!!

I have the septic tank sucked out every 2 years whether it needs it or not. $125 here for a cleaning. Worth every penny......my guy cleans it and then tells me to have 2 buckets of horse manure ready to dump inside. He said the horse manure works just as well at eating up bad bacteria etc. and saves me money vs. buying any commercial products.....

just some info passing on to everyone

crazy things we chat about on the forum..LOL-LOL

Latest posts