Your own chickens' eggs - now with pictures

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree...perfectly normal. I have saved all the "wind eggs" my new hens laid. They are so tiny, and cute!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have blown eggs and decorated them this way:
Cut out multiple photographs from magazines of flowers or something, but a whole lot of the same type of thing. Photos of rosebuds works really really well. Then take your blown out egg and some white glue, and cover the entire egg with the cut outs, overlapping them. Do one side and let it dry, then do the other side. Finish with a layer of white glue painted on one side, and then flip them over and paint with a layer of white glue on the other side. They came out really pretty!

I would love to see a picture of the egg Christmas ornaments. That is a great idea for a homemade gift.

I don't think your hobby is strange. I know someone who uses duck eggs and carves out creations and paints them as well, very very elaborate, she spends hours and hours on each one.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Creative idea, sounds beautiful savingdogs :thumbsup

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I agree...perfectly normal. I have saved all the "wind eggs" my new hens laid. They are so tiny, and cute!
That's what they're called? :lol: I have saved all the teeniest eggs, too.

Years ago, our SIL helped put groceries away when I got home. He put a dozen eggs in a compartment of our frig that I never opened, much less ever used. It had a dark colored covering and was in the door of the frig. Imagine my surprise when a YEAR later I just happened to look in that little area and there was a dozen eggs.
The crazy thing is that they were drying out and the yolks were stuck at the bottom of the eggs. We could literally stand the eggs up on point and they'd stay there. If you tried to lay the egg down in any other position, it'd pop right back up and wobble back and forth. We had a blast with those silly things. Gradually the yolks came loose and would rattle around, now they're just like powder. I still have 4 or 5 from that dozen and they're probably 14-15 years old now.

I have an emu egg and an ostrich egg that we blew out. Holy cow, that emu egg was work! It has a real pretty dark green shell. I always thought that maybe one day I'd get a dentist drill and do intricate carving on them. Ya, one day...right.

I have a small wooden box that I covered with egg shell mosiac years ago. That took forever to do, but I love the thing!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to see a picture of the egg Christmas ornaments. That is a great idea for a homemade gift.
We're going to be away for most of the day, but I'll see if I can't find the eggs among the decorations, and take a picture this evening.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
And I'll try to remember where that cut out egg is, I packed it away carefully somewhere, somewhere so careful I can't remember where it is. :hide But I'll look in my "careful" kinda spots and see if I can't get a picture of my egg my friend decorated.

I gave my cutout-covered eggs away in a gift basket, but that one is real simple, I don't think you need a picture to know how to do it. But they do come out nice.

My DD made a easter decorator basket kind of thing just by coloring eggs and then blowing out the insides. The dark colors come out really nice when dyed. And my EE eggs didn't need to be dyed at all!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have blown out some of my girl's eggs. The duck eggs are boring (plain white) but the quail eggs are amazing. Each one is a speckley little work of art :D

I need to find a way to keep them from breaking though. Quail eggs are really delicate even though the membrane is really tough.

Anyone ever try to use clear resin on eggs?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the girls' eggs in the kitchen:

786_easter_eggs_001.jpg

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And these are the eggs done by my mother's friend, back in the 1950's. 1st are the showy sides, and then the backs, to show how she decorated them. They are very fragile, and quite old; some are held together only by the trim that is glued on. (I was mistaken; I have more than just a couple :))

786_easter_eggs_004.jpg

786_easter_eggs_005.jpg