Your Parents.....and....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
Beekissed said:
After reading some of the stories here, it strikes me that many of us have similar backgrounds of abuse, addiction, and just plain dysfunctional families. Do you all think this has something to do with why we are now striving for common sense type living that doesn't involve living by the seat of one's pants, roller coaster rides at the emotional amusement park, and closer relationships with our own small family units?
I think you couldn't be more RIGHT! It's nice to run deep roots and raise kids who know where they can always come back to!
you know it is funny...but my whole life I said I would not allow these negative things in my life...lol

just the way I run because I met a few nice guys that had kids when I was single. I waited til I found one that didn't have kids. I knew in my heart I was NOT the type to deal with ANY ex wife or stepkids. It is just how I am wired. whew....I dodged a few bullets in my days :)

I think if you stay true to 'how you truly want to run your life' and won't allow certain things in it, you have a better chance of having a wonderful and happy journey! at least I think this lol

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
After reading some of the stories here, it strikes me that many of us have similar backgrounds of abuse, addiction, and just plain dysfunctional families. Do you all think this has something to do with why we are now striving for common sense type living that doesn't involve living by the seat of one's pants, roller coaster rides at the emotional amusement park, and closer relationships with our own small family units?
no, my upbringing was definitely not dysfunctional.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think if you stay true to 'how you truly want to run your life' and won't allow certain things in it, you have a better chance of having a wonderful and happy journey! at least I think this lol
I agree! Because I had been raised in a family that grew from negative things, I worked hard to avoid negative influences in my own children's lives and found that the paths that looked the easiest weren't always the positive way to go. I'm glad I've worked overtime on creating happy, good-hearted children who never had to deal with emotional, verbal or physical abusive situations, addiction, stepfathers/stepchildren, etc. I dodged a few bullets of my own and am soooooo glad for unanswered prayers! :D

We didn't get to escape being poor, though, but it was a choice I made early on that I wouldn't simply marry just anyone so that I could have a second income or a so-called better life. There are some things that aren't worth doing just to have more money or material wealth. I remained single, we survived and are thriving today...success isn't measured in Earthly wealth and goods, IME, so I consider the choices I made to have been the most beneficial to me and my children.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am the middle child. Mother was a workaholic because the old man was an alcoholic. We were verrrrrrrry poor, and the old man stole the food stamps to buy alcohol. I got my work ethic from my mom. I took care of my older brother and younger sister when we were kids. We were locked outside until lunch when I was allowed in to fix lunch, then we were locked out until an hour before mom got home from work when we came in and I did dishes from lunch and cleaned up. Then the old drunk took all the credit for the work that was done. If we told on him, we got beat. :hu I raised myself and my siblings. We survived.

Because of that^^^ I always wanted to be SS and live on my own even when I was little. I've always been "old" in my mind and like the idea of not having to depend on anyone else. However, now that I have a real role model to pattern my life after, Christ, I have a whole lot better life than I ever dreamed I would. But, it is difficult, because I am not used to depending on someone else, and have a hard time giving up the notion that "I can fix it by myself." I can't. I tried. It didn't work. :p

God is my daddy :D I'm just busy trying to learn to lean on Him. Life is beautiful :)

Bee...yeah dysfunction..that was us! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Do you all think this has something to do with why we are now striving for common sense type living that doesn't involve living by the seat of one's pants, roller coaster rides at the emotional amusement park, and closer relationships with our own small family units?
I think this is true for many, not all, but I would say a majority.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Beekissed said:
no, my upbringing was definitely not dysfunctional.
I had no dysfunction in my family either. I had a wonderful childhood. My parents are still very happily married, I've been happily married for almost 28 years, and we're all close.

But Beekissed may have a valid point. Who knows. I just wonder about all the folks who are living dysfunctional lives but who had good upbringings. Now that I don't understand.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ah, everyone here loves dirt and livestock....:lol:

it is our common bond definitely

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Here is the Cliff notes version.

Second oldest in a family of 4 kids. My parents were not really into the SS life. To busy saving people. And what does it matter what we do to the earth, God will make it a paradise anyway. I think I got my love for industriousness from my Nana. She taught me a lot of my skills and the rest I learned on my own.

Now, my parents don't take part in my life due to the different Faith path. It is me and the DH. My girls are typical teenagers, not into it. Numbed by their devices.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I think you are exactly right!!!!!!!!!