Your Weather

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Last night they decided that work would start at 10:00 today. Because of the amount of ice on my vehicles, my driveway, putting on snow chains to get to the main road, and the unknown condition of the highways I would have had to leave for work at 8:00. A little after 9:00 I got a phone call saying work would start at 11:00. Still need 2 hours for a safety margin. (It is a 45 minute drive in daylight on dry roads and with nothing to slow you down.)

Aren't the decision makers wonderful. Allow 4 hours of driving for 5 hours of work. And this an organization where safety comes first.

Still plan on staying home even it means using leave time.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is right Dacs.
sometimes the numbers don't add up. I would be staying home also. It is never worth the risk to life and limb.....just not worth it cause some conditions for driving are insane....like ICE!

smart move!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's.... -8 C again, but it's beautiful and sunny and there's like no wind.

I was outside doing the chickens wearing my trackie capris and my wool coat. Well usually I wear that anyway, but in the super cold my skin goes stark white and they notice the big huge cut on my right leg more (acquired by slamming into the wheel barrow when my brother stormed off in a huff while we were cleaning the coop out a few weeks ago), but when its not too cold out it doesn't show much and they're much more interested in pecking my butt when I bend over to pet them. One or two will take turns jumping in their and pecking my butt.

Not fun.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I think around 10:00 someone finally figured out that conditions were bad and weren't really going to get much better. No work today. I wasn't going in anyway but now that it is official I think we get paid for it. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Unthawed the car and put the snow chains on. Then I drove out to the mailbox, 3/4 mile. It was interesting breaking trail in a little Toyota Corolla but the Corolla has front wheel drive and the stuff isn't deep, just slick. Lots of spinning and throwing gravel. The blacktop road was plowed but still icy.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got 6" of snow, and now we've been getting ice for about 3 hours. Luckily, it hasn't been staying on the trees & power lines, and the temps are supposed to stay steady, so I'm hoping none of the power lines come down. We had 3 days without power in September, which wasn't so bad. Doesn't sound so good in January. Makes me wish we'd gotten that woodstove.... After the freezing rain, we get a couple more inches of snow to top it all off.

Thankfully, DH has NOT been telling me about the weather in Vegas!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Looks like we will be home tomorrow. Snow should start here early enough to mess up the morning commute and continue for a while before turning to ice then rain by evening. The timing will most likely mean school cancelations.