Zero Waste

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Too many humans are just inconsiderate!!! Why litter?

Because there are so many options -- good or bad -- humans no longer care. If we were once again in the life where we had to make all of our own containers, or limited to only a few glass or metal to acquire, we would be more careful and less wasteful.

Very much like food preservation. Salt curing, dehydrating, fermenting, canning, cellaring, clamps -- none are new efforts, just rediscovered. Before refrigeration, all these were used. It's all there was!

litter would not be as bad of a problem if things were paid for like a deposit for bottles and cans. there would be no litter on the ground for long if enough $ were set for each wrapper or container or bag. fast food crap all along the roads would get picked up soon after it became economical to pick up for someone to do it. i'd do it myself as i hate seeing it along the roads here. i used to walk up and down the road here as it is and pick it up for free, but the past few years i've had a pulled tendon in my leg and that makes getting in and out of ditches a bit too difficult. make it worth my while and i'd come up with a way of doing it. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you want to take the time there is a movie on you tube called "Planet of the Humans". I watched it over the summer. The end of the movie is heartbreaking. We're in trouble, the planet is in trouble.

gack. while i had hopes it was going to be an interesting movie in the end it was very poorly done. since i'm familiar with many of the topics covered i went and started looking at the various critiques of the movie to be sure my own opinions weren't just me wanting to be annoyed. note i don't always agree with the critics either. ;) but i learn a lot in the process.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
gack. while i had hopes it was going to be an interesting movie in the end it was very poorly done. since i'm familiar with many of the topics covered i went and started looking at the various critiques of the movie to be sure my own opinions weren't just me wanting to be annoyed. note i don't always agree with the critics either. ;) but i learn a lot in the process.
I read some of the critical reviews also, just the other day when searching for this movie to post. What the critics did not try to debunk was the amount of raw materials mined from the earth to build solar panels.

The main message of this movie for me was "We are the problem". Our ways are the problem. Our need for convenience is the problem. Whether it's fossil fuels, or green energy, it's all destructive. I believe there needs to be sacrafice and learning how to live with the earth, not off of the earth.

This is part of a comment from "Steve":

"If we can say anything about humans it is that we strive with all our might to reduce our cognitive dissonance and when our core beliefs are challenged we will go to all sorts of lengths to reduce the anxiety this creates, including dismissing the ugly side of our favoured narratives even if it is staring us right in the face. There is no such thing as clean or green energy and either we accept this and put our energies into degrowing our world in a managed way, or we experience the inevitable collapse that always accompanies overshoot."

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember reading about an ancient city somewhere in the Middle East that was being studied by archeologists who found evidence that the people had some pretty sophisticated methods of recycling water (important in an arid region). It apparently didn't help in the long run, and the city was abandoned. I've often wondered if some archeologist of the future (or even from off-planet?) will come to the same conclusions about our civilization?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember reading about an ancient city somewhere in the Middle East that was being studied by archeologists who found evidence that the people had some pretty sophisticated methods of recycling water (important in an arid region). It apparently didn't help in the long run, and the city was abandoned. I've often wondered if some archeologist of the future (or even from off-planet?) will come to the same conclusions about our civilization?

the direction we seem to be heading isn't all that great, but there isn't much alternative with the current world set up being that we waste huge amounts of money and energy on weapons that we pretty much can't use, let alone a bunch of other things.

a lot of people complain about the New World Order (which isn't something i really think is much of a conspiracy as far as that goes), but based upon what i'm seeing i'm all for it.

there are large areas of the earth that can be restored but it does mean changing ways of people who are very set in their habits and traditions.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think change is more likely going forward than in recent past. In 2020, people learned to tolerate changes, and we found some that werent so bad.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Who wants to do a trash audit with me?

i'll read along :) but with Mom it's kinda pointless. :( i've had a pretty hard struggle as it is just getting basic recycling going. i'm glad for what we're doing, but we are complete opposites that i can't go further.

Latest posts