Zero Waste

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too! Ok, rules, regulations? A 24 hour audit? Or longer? Longer scares me even more, lol. MY DH is all kinds of excited. I must be too because I just had a snack of pistachios and I'm researching if the shells can be composted, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Next time garbage bag is full, sort it by type and take photos. The goal is to see what types of trash your household produces and be able to choose an action to reduce landfill waste.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This isn't about trash per se - but what was recycled yesterday.

A glass jar that held spaghetti sauce.
A plastic jug that held tomato juice
A plastic shrink wrap from packaging.

These items were repurposed/composted/or went down the digestion path for a critter.

Cardboard boxes from a shipment were broken down and will go in the garden
Egg shells crunched and buried in tubs that will likely hold tomatoes.
Banana skin, mango skin, red pepper innards, and onion skins went to chickens/goats. (whichever was faster getting to them, lol) Onion skins will likely compost in place, lol.

That's what I can remember...:old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Recycled my diet root beer can this afternoon. :)

I'm noticing a trend with my trash. I generally wash and re-use gallon size ziploc bags that haven't had raw meat in them. But, I've gone through two in two days and I don't like it! I rarely wash the sandwich sized bags though so I'm making a switch. I've been intending to for awhile now - but decided to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Amazon.com: Reusable Gallon Food Storage Bags - Anpro Reusable Freezer Bags Extra Thick & Leakproof, 1 Gallon Bags for Marinate Meats, Sandwich, Snack, 7 Pack: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Reusable Silicone Food Storage Bags & Silicone Stretch Lids, Food Grade Silicone Bags and Covers, Airtight Seal Food Preservation Bags for Vegetable, Lunch, BPA Free, Freezer & Dishwasher Safe: Kitchen & Dining

These are on their way to my house!!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need uses for feed sacks other than grocery bags.

I like the canvas bags from Trader Joe's best for groceries. They wash with towels and last years. I have some in use I bought around 2000.

Just so many feed sacks. I do use for garbage bags when I can, but need more ideas.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a lot of feed bags - but not really in a lot of ways. Most of them go in the garden. Some of them are used as garbage bags if I'm picking stuff up in the yard (think puppy poop, lol) or occasionally they can be a cage liner. Fire starters also if we're burning something - but we don't do that very often.

Mine are all paper bags. I've seen some cute crafts out of the the other kinds.

Pinterest has some cute ideas.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do the same with my feed bags. Plastic dog food bags, 50 pound size, get used for trash bags. Feed bags get the bottom cut off, cut open and stored until garden time. Feed bags get used for smothering out weeds in the garden, plus all the cardboard I can get.

We always get a big load of pumpkin boxes from a place in town and we mulch the garden with them.

I wash and reuse my ziploc bags unless they had raw meat in them.