Zero Waste

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Earthbreeze laundry detergent works great! It is more expensive than other brands, such as Seventh Generation, but I would rather pay more and support a company that is trying to be part of the solution.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The Earthbreeze laundry detergent works great! It is more expensive than other brands, such as Seventh Generation, but I would rather pay more and support a company that is trying to be part of the solution.
Seventh Generation discontinued their laundry powder. I tried BioKleen powder, it didn't get clothes clean. DH put cooking oil on his hands and tried washing his hand with BioKleen and it couldn't remove the oil. I'm currently using Dropps because I didn't know any other plastic-free and unscented options. They're fine, but expensive. I found Tide has a free/clear powder detergent so I bought a few boxes to use when I run out of Dropps.

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
have you tried an ordinary bar of soap or dish washing up liquid on stains? Time was, the former was used for collars and cuffs of white shirts, and the latter is the only thing I know that can remove grass stains from fabric.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
have you tried an ordinary bar of soap or dish washing up liquid on stains? Time was, the former was used for collars and cuffs of white shirts, and the latter is the only thing I know that can remove grass stains from fabric.
My family doesnt know I refill our spray bottle of laundry stain remover with dish detergent and a little water. 😁

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seventh Generation discontinued their laundry powder. I tried BioKleen powder, it didn't get clothes clean. DH put cooking oil on his hands and tried washing his hand with BioKleen and it couldn't remove the oil. I'm currently using Dropps because I didn't know any other plastic-free and unscented options. They're fine, but expensive. I found Tide has a free/clear powder detergent so I bought a few boxes to use when I run out of Dropps.
Have you tried phelps naptha?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we were making our own laundry soap for a while and it wasn't too hard, but Mom decided she can tolerate the kind we use now.

sometimes ammonia will do the trick.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goop hand cleaner removes most stains like grass or ink or even crayon. Let it set a few minutes and scrub by hand. I've only used it on cotton so not sure how other fabrics react.

Shampoo removes blood when hand scrubbing. Dish soap works well for food based stains. I use Zout for most stains. Let it set for half an hour or more before washing.

For grease stains that won't come out, spray with WD-40 and let set a few minutes. Then treat as a normal fresh grease stain. Usually makes it come right out. Works well on aircraft hydrolic fluid and various aircraft greases. The silicone ones are a pain in the rear to get out.