Zucchini and Squash???

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
freemotion said:
SKR8PN said:
You can also shred Zucchini and use it to make "hash browns".
MMmmmmMMM GOOD!!!
Please explain this in detail....do they come out crispy??? I am NOT afraid to fry things on occasion, do tell!

I shred mine up and get a zillion bags in the freezer. They end up in the catfood and I like to add some to spaghetti sauce.....some green goodness hidden in the sauce.

I will only use the tiny, baby ones fresh. Don't like 'em otherwise.

They are good in ratatouile.
YUP! Crispy just like hashbrowns!! She simply fries them up in real butter just like you do potatoe hashbrowns. OMG are they ever good for breakfast! I like mine with a couple of eggs,over easy, put right on top of the Zucchini hashbrowns!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
TanksHill said:
When I froze my zucc and summer squash I tried it two ways. I blanched it, dipped in hot water then in cold to stop the cooking then vacuum sealed. Second time I froze it whole and fresh. They weren't inedible but nothing like the fresh stuff.

How about posting your squash casserole??? Is it around already?

Thanks gina
Yeah, that is basically the way I did mine, blanched it for three minutes, then put the squash in ice water, drained and put into freezer bags. I also tried laying the squash pieces on a cookie sheet after blanching and placing in the freezer until frozen, then put in freezer bags. I don't have a vacuum sealer so I tried to get as much air out using a straw. I am tempted to pull a bag out of the freezer to see if it is mushy.

Here is the squash casserole recipe. I usually cook my squash in a steamer. I use any kind of bread crumbs available or stuffing mix. I sometimes eat it just straight out of the steamer with some butter and salt.

Yellow Squash Casserole

2 lb. diced yellow squash, cooked until tender
1 whole carrot, coarsely grated
1 onion, chopped and sauted
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
4 oz. Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing, not seasoned

Direction: mix all ingredients plus of the stuffing and put into a greased casserole dish (shallow). Sprinkle remaining crumbs. (May use more if desired) Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
Right click- save as!! Thanks Heidi!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We used to eat at a small place in Tomball, TX (Houston area) called Mrs. Goodson's. Well known in the area for their chicken fried steak (If it were any bigger, it'd be illegal is their motto for the cfs). But my favorite recipe there was the cooked squash and onion side dish. They woudn't give me the recipe, so this is my interpretation of

Mrs. Goodson's Crookneck Squash and Onions
wash & thinly slice yellow crookneck squash
peel and thinly slice white onion
pinch of salt
pinch of cracked black pepper
pinch of sugar

cook until fork tender. Yummy!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Today I took two medium smallish zucchini, one green, one yellow, chopped them up failry small and sauteed them with 2 chopped gypsy peppers, one small red onion and garlic in olive oil until the onions were translucent. then I added all of it to a large jar of home made tomato sauce in the crock pot. This has been simmering for hours. Now I will go out and pick some fresh basil to put in it. We have left over roast chicken and I will fix some pasta. Dinner is done.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
skr8pn!!! The cats may be zucchini-less this year!!! :drool

eta: Although I was reading FD's post and was thinking how good it would be to shred all those items together and make them into hash browns.....OOOO-LA-LA!!!