Zucchini and Squash???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We use ours in slumgulleon! I freeze some also for other "kitchen sink" type dishes. I don't care if they turn out mushy, as long as they keep their flavor. I plan on using some of mine this year in my homemade dog food.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I plan on drying some, figure I can grind them and put them into various meal that way.
I don't have a deep freeze nor a pressure canner. So my storage is limited. And unless I get either free or real cheap, I won't be getting one this year either.
The extra money we didn't have went to pay the vet to lance an abcess on the cat. We'll be working that off for some time. ;)
He better keep catching those mice and rats to repay us. :lol:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We dehydrate some for soups, stews, casseroles. If you shred and freeze, you can make into bread or use in soups or stews. Most of the end of season ones that grow to the size of Lincoln Continentals go into zucchini bread or to the chickens.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee .....slumgulleon! Can you explain this to me?

I am thinking I am going to try and make some squash soup. Maybe I can roast it first. Do you all think it would hold up? Yellow squash is far from butternut but maybe??

:idunno

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
You can also shred Zucchini and use it to make "hash browns".
MMmmmmMMM GOOD!!!
Please explain this in detail....do they come out crispy??? I am NOT afraid to fry things on occasion, do tell!

I shred mine up and get a zillion bags in the freezer. They end up in the catfood and I like to add some to spaghetti sauce.....some green goodness hidden in the sauce.

I will only use the tiny, baby ones fresh. Don't like 'em otherwise.

They are good in ratatouile.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sliced almost paper thin (think potato chip thickness), marinate in your choice of seasonings, then dry or fry to have zuc chips. I like them dried, the flavor really intensifies.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Sliced almost paper thin (think potato chip thickness), marinate in your choice of seasonings, then dry or fry to have zuc chips. I like them dried, the flavor really intensifies.
Ooooo those sound good!!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
SKR8PN said:
We split our Zucc's down the middle and scoop out the seeds, then we stuff them with sausage,goat cheese, onions, peppers and such, and then we vacuum seal them and freeze them two to a bag.
To cook them, we just thaw and stick them on the grill to cook.
Delicious!!!! What a great idea!!

My mom always made shreaded zucc. pancakes with a bit of ww flour, and an egg.
Mmmm, I've made those too. They're very good. I make and freeze zucchini bread and muffins.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've read of shredding it and par-boiling then using it like you would spaghetti noodles.

Here is my FAVORITE zucchini recipe.

Zucchini Jam

3 c zucchini, grated
1/2 c lemon juice
3 c sugar
1 small box apricot gelatin
Peel and remove seeds from the zucchini before grating. Boil grated zucchini, lemon juice, and sugar together for 30 minutes. Add gelatin and remove from heat. Don't let it boil again. Pour into jars and seal in water bath.

It is a very light marmalade result. (I don't like orange marmalade.)

I do wish my zucchini plants were doing better. I usually have squash by now. I've had some blossoms but no fruit.