Zucchini and Squash???

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Help..... I have a ton of zuccs and yellow squash. I have made pickled zucchini and zucchini relish. Any other preserving ideas. I have tried freezing in previous years but they always turn out mushy. Any help would be great.

thanks, gina
I was just curious to know how you processed the squash for freezing? This summer is my first time for freezing yellow squash. I haven't used any from my freezer yet so I can't say for sure if it will be turn out mushy or not, but the squash was still firm when I packaged for the freezer. If it turns out mushy though, that doesn't matter because it will be used for squash casserole. I love squash casserole, but I am getting a little tired of eating it every week. lol

I like zucchini in spaghetti sauce, in place of meat. I tried growing zucchini this year but did not have any luck.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I froze my zucc and summer squash I tried it two ways. I blanched it, dipped in hot water then in cold to stop the cooking then vacuum sealed. Second time I froze it whole and fresh. They weren't inedible but nothing like the fresh stuff.

How about posting your squash casserole??? Is it around already?

Thanks gina

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. If all goes well and the thunderstorms don't give me hail, I should have a ton of zuchs. We also cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, cook meatloaf or stuffing in them.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
When I froze my zucc and summer squash I tried it two ways. I blanched it, dipped in hot water then in cold to stop the cooking then vacuum sealed. Second time I froze it whole and fresh. They weren't inedible but nothing like the fresh stuff.

How about posting your squash casserole??? Is it around already?

Thanks gina
Yeah, that is basically the way I did mine, blanched it for three minutes, then put the squash in ice water, drained and put into freezer bags. I also tried laying the squash pieces on a cookie sheet after blanching and placing in the freezer until frozen, then put in freezer bags. I don't have a vacuum sealer so I tried to get as much air out using a straw. I am tempted to pull a bag out of the freezer to see if it is mushy.

Here is the squash casserole recipe. I usually cook my squash in a steamer. I use any kind of bread crumbs available or stuffing mix. I sometimes eat it just straight out of the steamer with some butter and salt.

Yellow Squash Casserole

2 lb. diced yellow squash, cooked until tender
1 whole carrot, coarsely grated
1 onion, chopped and sauted
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
4 oz. Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing, not seasoned

Direction: mix all ingredients plus of the stuffing and put into a greased casserole dish (shallow). Sprinkle remaining crumbs. (May use more if desired) Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hay Gina, I got this in an email and thought I would share with you..looks yummy.

mare_zucchinicarpacio608.jpg

ZUCCHINI CARPACCIO SALAD
SERVES4 TO 6 (SIDE DISH)
ACTIVE TIME:15 MIN START TO FINISH:35 MIN

A meat-free carpaccio, this crisp mix of zucchini and arugula gets a boost from olive oil and salty cheese.
1 1/2 lbs zucchini (about 3 large)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 lb arugula, stems discarded and leaves cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips (6 cups)
1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated (on large holes of a box grater; 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: an adjustable-blade slicer
Cut zucchini crosswise into paper-thin slices with slicer.
Toss zucchini slices with 1 teaspoon salt in a large colander set over a bowl and let drain 20 minutes.
Rinse zucchini slices well, then drain, pressing gently on slices to extract any excess liquid. Pat zucchini slices dry with a kitchen towel.
Put arugula greens in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil over greens and toss.
Arrange zucchini slices over arugula greens, then drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and pepper.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Another one from Gourmet...looks like a bit of work but you could probably create some short cuts :)
re-zucchini-and-bacon-fritters-608.jpg

ZUCCHINI BACON FRITTERS WITH BASIL-MAYO DIPPING SAUCE
MAKES ABOUT40 FRITTERS
ACTIVE TIME:30 MIN START TO FINISH:1 HR
JULY 2009
Fried zucchini is a classic snack, but watch what happens when its amped up with smoky bacon and spicy jalapeo. The fragrant, floral basil dipping sauce is a terrific complement to the tender, light zucchini bites, filling your mouth with the scent of summer. (Editors note: This recipe is solely the creation of Andrea Albin and has not been formally tested by the test kitchen.)

Watch the Test Kitchen Challenge video that features this recipe.
FOR BASIL MAYO
1 cup basil
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
FOR FRITTERS
About 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 medium zucchini, chopped
1/2 fresh jalapeo, stemmed and minced (including seeds)
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup whole milk
6 slices crisp-cooked bacon, finely chopped
EQUIPMENT: a deep-fat thermometer
MAKE BASIL MAYO:
Pure basil with mayonnaise, water, and lemon juice in a blender. Transfer to a small bowl and chill until ready to use.
MAKE FRITTERS:
Preheat oven to 200F.
Heat 3 inches oil to 350F in a deep 5-qt pot over medium-high heat.
Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir together zucchini, jalapeo, chives, and a pinch of salt in another bowl. Add egg, milk, and bacon to zucchini mixture and toss to coat zucchini. Stir in flour mixture until incorporated.
Fry small spoonfuls of batter in batches of about 10, turning occasionally, until golden-brown all over, 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Return oil to 350F between batches.
Serve fritters with basil mayo.
RECIPE BY ANDREA ALBIN
PHOTOGRAPH BY STEPHANIE FOLEY

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Gourmet-
re-zucchini-three-ways-608.jpg

ZUCCHINI THREE WAYS SALAD
SERVES4 (FIRST COURSE OR LIGHT LUNCH)
ACTIVE TIME:45 MIN START TO FINISH:45 MIN
JULY 2009
Zucchini is like a spongeit can absorb practically any flavorand food editor Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez combines three of her favorite ways to eat it here. First, she starts with a garden-style carpaccio, full of bright basil and shavings of nutty Parmigiano-Reggiano and drizzled with a tangy lemon dressing. This salad gets topped with wonderfully crisp zucchini shoestring fries, a touch of salt, and finally, a delicate batter-fried zucchini flower. (Editors note: This recipe is solely the creation of Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez and has not been formally tested by the test kitchen.)

Watch the Test Kitchen Challenge video that features this recipe.
FOR ZUCCHINI SALAD
2 medium zucchini (about 3/4 lb total)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 cup basil leaves
FOR ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup club soda or seltzer
About 4 cups vegetable oil
4 zucchini blossoms
FOR SHOESTRING ZUCCHINI
2 medium zucchini (about 3/4 lb total)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
EQUIPMENT: an adjustable-blade slicer; a deep-fat thermometer
MAKE ZUCCHINI SALAD:
Cut zucchini diagonally into paper-thin slices with slicer. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, in 1 layer on 4 plates.
Whisk together oil and lemon juice in a small bowl, then drizzle over zucchini. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and let stand while frying blossoms and shoestring zucchini.
FRY ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS:
Whisk together flour, club soda, and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl until smooth.
Heat 1 inch oil to 375F in a 3-qt wide heavy saucepan over medium heat. Dip blossoms in batter to coat, brushing them against side of bowl to remove excess, then fry, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving oil in pan, and season lightly with salt.
MAKE SHOESTRING ZUCCHINI:
Halve zucchini crosswise, then cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch-wide slices. Cut slices lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick strips. Toss with 11/2 tsp salt in a large medium-mesh sieve set over a bowl, then drain 10 minutes. Squeeze handfuls of zucchini wrapped in a kitchen towel to remove moisture.
Return oil to 375F. Toss shoestring zucchini with flour, then fry in 4 batches, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon, until golden, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 375F between batches.
ASSEMBLE SALAD:
Serve zucchini salad topped with shaved cheese. Make stacks of basil leaves and cut crosswise into very thin slivers, then sprinkle over salad. Top with shoestring zucchini and fried zucchini blossoms.
RECIPE BY GINA MARIE MIRAGLIA ERIQUEZ
PHOTOGRAPH BY STEPHANIE FOLEY

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
AAAAAARRRRGH!!! Why did I come check this forum before supper????? I have almost all the ingredients! AAAAARRRRRGH!!!!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
If you try one be sure to report back! I have not tried any of these but there are some fresh ideas here that I know many can use with summer squash season upon us!