Zucchini base Pizza "Crust" - Man o' Man was it good!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth - I am guessing totally here, but I bet which type of cheese you use would make a huge difference on the flavor.

If you don't like the fried cheese flavor (you crazy girl!! ;) ) just use a mild cheese. Mozzerella is mild and so is Swiss or Farmer Cheese.

That is what I would try.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
really interested here, due to the gluten free factor, but.... does it taste alot like fried cheese? I have made the fried cheese crisps, and didn't like them, ( I did them for my low carb diet)
:ep You don't like fried cheese? :th

:lol: Just teasing, to each her own :)
They weren't totally fried cheese tasting, you could definately taste the zucs & egg, plus the toppings. A little like fried cheese, only with a great big twist. It'd be worth trying it cut in half.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, I made it last night according to directions. I hand squeezed the shredded zucchini over a strainer and got it as dry as possible. Maybe if you salted it and let it sit in a strainer a couple hours it would get drier.

The crust was soft and a tad quiche-like. I would have had to bake it first round for at least twice as long to get any crisp. I topped it with a bit of pizza sauce, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, and cheese and baked for 15 minutes. ETA: I had it in a round metal pizza pan.

Overall it was tasty. More like a casserole than a pizza, though. I don't know if I would make it again or not.

Mom kept saying the crust needed some kind of flour in it to help bind it. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If we are trying for a dry zucchini .... hmm ... I wonder about using dehydrated zucchini???

I was going to make the crust last night as a side to go with my GF spaghetti, but someone had eaten all of my mozzarella cheese!!! :tongue

I already had the zucchini drying grated in a colander so I just chucked it in the sauce. Pretty darned good.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, mine got very crispy on the bottom. It was a little gooey on top still. Quiche like, yeah. But with a crispy bottom.
I used a round cast iron griddle like I normally do for pizza. Wonder if that made the difference?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Oven temps can make a huge difference as well. Few ovens have very accurate thermometers.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I cook mine on a silicone mat. I flip it and cook for a bit more once it is almost done. It gets both sides brown like that.

The first time I made it I didn't use the mat and it molecularly bonded to my pizza pan. It took forever to get the pan clean.

was going to make the crust last night as a side to go with my GF spaghetti, but someone had eaten all of my mozzarella cheese!!!
:gig

Did my family wander by your place? The guys do that to me all the time. I bought apples last night to make a Waldorf salad. Son ate my apples before I even got the rest of the groceries put away and nobody bothered to tell me they used up the mayo :somad

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
At least I can SOMETIMES have cheese around the place. When my D1 still lived at home that girl would go through a 3 pound brick of cheese in nothing flat!! She still does, but now SHE gets to buy it herself. :lol:

At least I know she is getting her calcium. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, I have some zucchini now and am going to try this sometime this week.
As for the fried cheese crsips. I have tried parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, and i don;'t like any of them. If I make them just to the point of being crispy, they are ok, but once they hit the crispy stage, they just taste yucky.

After I make it, i will report back.