Zucchini?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The seller I bought my seeds from sent a second envelope of tomato and zucchini. I figure I'll plant some of the tomatoes for next year, but in the mean time, wtf do you do with zucchini?! I don't think I've ever eaten one in my life. I've got 100 seeds if I remember correctly, and certainly don't want them going to waste! I'm thinking maybe just a trade if I cannot figure something out.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
wtf do you do with zucchini?
Many possibilities. My favorite is sliced in a salad, or a large quantity sliced & combined with sliced Roma tomatoes w/ a modest amount of ranch-style dressing. I've been known to make a meal of just that, in a soup bowl. Also good pan fried or deep fried (again, my personal choice is to serve w/ ranch dressing).

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Sauteed with summer squash and onions, and a few tomatoes is GOOOD!!!!!!

Roasted is good, grilled is good... Lots of possibilities!

You sound like me and an eggplant :p I've never really eaten an eggplant before either! I was that way with cabbage until 2 years ago too! Funny the things that you just never have eaten until one day....

Have fun!

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
First definately do not plant a 100 seeds of zukes unless you plan to feed the state. But otherwise in general use it as you would other summer squash- stir fry, breaded and fried, raw on salads or just snacking, casseroles, grilled, roasted, and on and on. Recipes abound in part probably because zukes usually are REAL good producers unless you are like me with a real bad squash vine borer problem.
Oh and for a few unusual ways to use them:
Replace the apples in your favorite apple pie recipe with sliced zukes. Done this many times and people are amazed that there are no apples. Just don't tell them until after they have tasted it.
Replace cuccumbers with sliced zukes in your pickle recipe or look up recipes for zucchini pickles. Again usually cannot tell the difference.
I've also grated and added to sauces and (dont tell my kids but) cakes, cookies and banana bread.

The seeds will be good for a year or two more if you keep seal them up tight and keep in a cool place.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Zucchini bread is always good. You can let some of them get large, scoop out the inside and make stuffed zucchini. The possibilities are endless. I've added shredded zukes to pasta sauce. Kids never knew.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ZUCHINNI BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You take the baseball bat sized zuchinni (that you forgot about or that kept growing loooong after you ate all you wanted lol) and a bunch of friends/family and use the big zuchinni for bats. Pitch the ball, swing zuchinni "bat" which usually explodes on contact, toss bat remains and run like he!! for 1st base! It is halarious fun and helps with the zuchinni overload. :lol: