2000K rent!!!!!!!! some one slap me! Beekissed where are you!!!!!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one thing about money....everyone sure has different ideas on what is a good deal, what they are willing to pay, etc.

Opie, your renters just have in mind that it is what they want.....hey, if you want to pay then pay right? ---on this SS board you know all of us are looking for the best deal out there on property and such....LOL-LOL

But you know these people and if you say they are over spending to say look at me, then yikes, they sure fell into the category of "keeping up with the Jones'" but some people sure like doing that.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We lived two blocks from the beach in CA for 10 yrs. (I lived ther much longer). We got full guardianship of our 7yr. old granddaughter. We lived in a nice neighborhood, but the gangs were starting to incroach. We started remodeling our house to sell right at the top of the escalating selling prices. During that time we had a gangbanger jump over our back wall, luckily we were back there at the time. I went in the house, let the rottie out, got the phone and the gun, he didn't move! Four months later we were outta there!!

We moved to the CA mountains that we both had spent much time in while growing up. We put half the cost down. We have 5 acres, a three bedroom, two bathroom, built-in office modular. We weren't expecting the taxes to be as much as they are. We pay $400a month in taxes, which brings our monthly payments to just over $2300! If it wasn't for the taxes, we would have no problem with the payment.

Our schools are small, they still have Christmas and Easter vacation, still play capture the flag, red rover, etc. THE most important thing to us was for US to get out of the city before we got into trouble(neither DH or I get along well with others; we are too outspoken) and to raise our DGD in a healthy, safe and down to earth, reality environment. Since we moved she has thrived! Now we have our grandson(7) while our DD is in Afghanistan.

We struggle yes, but we wouldn't change our decision. When I find a way to earn income other than child support for DGD, it will be a lot easier.

Monica

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Paying less to live in an inexpensive area doesn't always pay. I had a 100k house in Baltimore but we were driving back and forth to see family in NY once a month or so and it was killing us. I'd rather live on rented property in NY and be with family. The house we're renting for 1350 a month is selling for half a million dollars and I do NOT want that kind of debt!

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't most schools get at least two vacations a year?

cknmom said:
Our schools are small, they still have Christmas and Easter vacation

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
See when I heard $2000.00 I didn't bat an eye because you wouldn't get to rent a house around here for any less than that.
In fact the guy across the street just rented his house out for $2,400.00 per month.
I was fortunate to buy my house 15 years ago but the housing is through the roof now.
Most houses sell around here in the $400,000.00 range so that may explain the high rents. I don't really know.
But even the apartment buildings charge alot.
I know that these little apartments are usually around $1,200.00
It makes it ridiculously hard for people to get into a house if they have been renting, how can you save enough for a downpayment when you are paying thousands in rent?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:lol: We were paying $1800 a month rent in San Diego two years ago. Piece of junk house as well but big (4 bedrooms, 2 bath)

Prior to that it was $1700 mortgage on a 2 bedroom condo - and that was 5 years ago. :th

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All I can say you guys must be pulling in some killer bucks to afford homes that expensive!!! :th

Makes my life seem so itty-bitty! :p Small paycheck, small rent (and people around here think I'm paying too much! :lol: ), small stress.....but a BIG life, in its own little small way! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:lol: We were paying $1800 a month rent in San Diego two years ago. Piece of junk house as well but big (4 bedrooms, 2 bath)

Prior to that it was $1700 mortgage on a 2 bedroom condo - and that was 5 years ago. :th
Ok WildSky, what convinced you to move? How do you like being out of Ca?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
All I can say you guys must be pulling in some killer bucks to afford homes that expensive!!! :th

Makes my life seem so itty-bitty! :p Small paycheck, small rent (and people around here think I'm paying too much! :lol: ), small stress.....but a BIG life, in its own little small way! :)
It's all relative I guess people may earn more in a given area, but it's offset by the cost of living. Don't think your life is any smaller than anyone else's if you are happy that's ALL that matters!

We used to be acquainted with a family where the husband worked for a huge corporation, his job title had the letter C in it, if you know what I mean. As we got to know them a little more I realized that they had all of the same financial issues that we did, just theirs had a few more zeros tacked on to the end of them!