Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's a lot of blueberries!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you got the makings of a nice little home business there. I read that a 10 year old blueberry bush may give you 10 pounds of blueberries...:drool

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's a lot of blueberries!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There are 400 blueberry bushes. I already pruned 125. ;) Also are 100 grapes, 2 large plantings of raspberries, and a mature apple tree. We plan to put in some more apple trees this year.

Today we did a lot of unpacking of the garage and seasonal type "stuff". We made a little garden with a kid's swimming pool and landscaped it with glacial/river rock to match the existing landscaping. I planted salad greens in it. We enjoyed a fire on the patio. My fiancé took hiking.

Yesterday we SCORED at an auction! We got a bunch of miscellany on our wish list, like a post-hole digger and some tools. The auction was poorly managed and the prices were pathetic. I bid $20 on a leather double recliner / loveseat and GOT IT! It's in perfect condition. I am so glad to say "goodbye" to our nasty holey old too-big couch! Plus with the leather I don't need to be fussy about the dogs getting it dirty. :love

We were talking to an Amish neighbor at the auction. He asked if we were planning on adding livestock. We said we were considering getting something to keep our 24 acres of pasture in good condition. That sure got him thinking. He has 5 heifers that need pasturing. He asked us to consider if we would rent the pasture to him. We don't know what to think. We don't want the land to sit unused and risk losing the low agricultural land property tax on those acres. But I do not want to start a slippery slope to driving Amish neighbors around, and my fiancé doesn't want to start a slippery slope towards being expected to provide free or low-cost veterinary care to neighbors. We are considering putting some sheep on the pasture since that is what the barn and fences are set up for.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Can't say I blame you for being cautious. Don't think I'd want to do it either. Friend of mine will buy calves in the spring, then sell them in the fall to keep her farm land assessment. I don't think they do anything other than just let them eat the grass. If she does it again, I might ask her how much she wants for one and buy it, maybe even go in w/a couple of other people if need be.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
The pasture lease is something that I think is fairly common. Many farmers in this area farm other's land so that they have more space and that way the land gets used. Just work out a deal and have a contract. Get it in writing. If it is going to keep the land in good shape now, then it is a good deal, plus it could be a little cash, or beef, depending on what arrangements you make. Call your County Extension office and talk to them about how much space there is and how many animals it can support, and then make sure those details are included in the contract.
Just be clear of the expectations, and go from there. Go with your gut, does it feel like a good idea, or not?

Congrats on making the leap! Things happened fast, but it sounds like the way they happen to me, the right door opens and you'd better run through and never look back! May the joy you feel only grow as you grow your life there!