Dreaming...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
C.10 acres is short for circa 10 acres, or roughly 10 acres. This one has 3 bedrooms and looks much bigger than the Galway one. Between the two I'm actually leaning towards this one, because this one has roughly the same amount of usable land, the extra bedroom and those outbuildings are perfect for what I'm planning. I've looked at the satellite pic and there is a barn or something out in the pasture, which is exactly where I want one. The property market bombed in Ireland over the last few years and previously valuable properties are now worth a fraction of their worth 5-6 years ago. Many of the properties that got listed pre-disaster, like this one, dropped to 1/4 of their original asking price already. I've seen one go from over e200,000 to e30,000. It's depressing.

I look at listings on Daft.ie almost daily and today I found about 20 new listings in the up to 50,000 range and those were just the ones that meet my search criteria.... Previously unaffordable counties like Cork, Galway, Wexford and Kilkenny are showing up more and more now.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
duhdunt, duhdunt, duhdunt, duhdunt.......... or how ever you spell the jaws theme music. things are getting really interesting around your place. fingers and toes remain crossed. :fl

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: We underpriced the farm deliberately, hoping for a quick sale, but nearly 6 months and endless views later I'm starting to wonder what on earth people want?

Go up on the price. Just go up on the price. Tell your tenant that if his son doesn't want it at the price you now have it, you are going up because you made a mistake in under pricing it. Sometimes people think something is wrong because of a cheaper price.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule, my husband used to deal with antiques and knickknacks and he told me how, at markets, he'd move things around and up the price to sell them. It doesn't make sense, but it works.

We should've repainted it months ago, when we had the budget and no tenants. I even briefly considered opening the house up again, by replacing the doors they've bricked up between them and MIL's flat. But she'd have a litter of pups if we do that. We have expanded the garden a bit and it's looking great at the moment. I think if our prospective buyers, who were last coming down on the 8th, or our tenants's son doesn't come through for us and buy this place I may just bump the price up again, though we didn't have any joy at the higher price either...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It may not be necessary… A lady we know phoned us this morning. She moved from here to another town, but now wants to come back here and she saw our place is for sale. She hasn't got the full asking price in cash, but is busy trying to see what she can come up with and she's coming to visit us tomorrow, so we can talk. She phoned us about 4 times, asking questions, asking we email her pics, etc. She's very interested, so let's see what happens tomorrow? :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The difference between genius and stupid is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is kinda what I'm thinking may happen, if our tenants want the place and need to wait for the loan(s)… the possible at the end of the month. What if both offer? I spoke to DH this morning and asked him what we're going to do about this and he has no idea. We'll have to see who comes up with the money first if they are both interested. Now that would be ironic, if after waiting for a buyer for so long, we end up with two!
Money talks! The first one with the money is the winner. If you wait on one of them to get the loan and it falls through, you miss the buyer with cash.