Experts Recommend Delaying Breastfeeding Until Vaccinations...

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's important to remember that every child and birth are different. some babies will seek out the breast while others won't. There are som many variables that have an effect, epidurals, hard births sometimes just personalities! Some babies are too tired to nurse while others are hungry all the time! Let's see, My first wanted to sleep, my second wanted to nurse... I actually had to suppliment with formula, because she was premie, and it burned too many calories for her to only nurse. The docs wanted me to work towards nursing only, so I would breastfeed for a little while then bottle, then pump. I was so releived when ahe was strong enough to only nurse!

OFG, :lol:

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't make me do it, don't make me do it, DON'T MAKE ME DO IT....

OH FINE.

Stands up

I'M SHAKING WHAT MY MOMMA GAVE ME

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Holachicka said:
I think correcting a misconception or inaccuracy without trying to make the original poster look like an idiot is a virtue...

That being said, I'd like to bring up a VERY common misconception about breastfeeding. Before I had children, I thought it would be super simple, easy peasy... Then I had my firts child! OUCH!! I was lucky that the My sons doc was also a lactation consultant because she really helped! Just a simple change of position!

There, how do you guys like that? I put in my two cents without pointing my finger at anyone or trying to make OFG (sorry!) look bad for a misconception. C'mon guys, no reason to get so angry!
Um, how did I make her look bad? I simply stated some facts that run counter to her position as stated.

moolie said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
which reminds me.. one of my fancy city friends had a baby and ran right out and paid high dollar for a "lactation consultant"... we here on the farm laughed a lot about that. i mean, i dont know much abut dontcha just affix that little one on the business end and away you go?
No, you don't.

If you have a child who never learns to latch, if you have mastitis, inverted nipples, thrush/yeast infection, poor letdown, lack of milk... you don't.

Sometimes you need help.

And if your mother raised you on formula because that was what was done for 2 generations, sometimes you need to ask an expert.
OFG, I do apologize if my words didn't come out right.
Oh moolie, I wasn't trying to point the finger at you or anyone! But if you go back and look at a lot of the posts in this thread, the hostility in trying to correct miscinceptions is very obvious. :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh no you didnt!

* gets up on the table with gleno, whips off oversized flannel shirt to reveal Lori's "hooters" tshirt, does Salt-n-Peppa "Push It" dance"

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*Drags out a kiddie pool filled with mud.... ALRIGHT LADIES!! Let's see what you've got!!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ummm....is this now a scene from 'Old School'? The boobie scene where they don't use mud they use K..... :duc

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I d'know, I thought lactation consulting was a waste of time. The whole "If you just do it right it won't hurt" thing... Balderdash. For some people, that just ain't true! When you are swollen up the size of cantaloupes with so much edema that there's nothing sticking out on the end for the baby to latch onto, then no amount of positioning, training, etc, is going to help.

For some women, the milk comes in so fast that it causes edema, and you end up with your boobs just standing out there, hard as can be, no bra needed to look well-endowed. Expressing doesn't relieve it, it takes two weeks for it to go down. And you sit there and kick your feet and bite your lip while you nurse, and just endure until it gets better. You get blistered and sore and there is no way to avoid it.

That happened with all of my first four kids, and my seventh. Less so with my fifth and sixth - the one difference there being that they nursed within half an hour of birth, none of the others did - they simply were not interested for about eight or more hours afterward, could not make them nurse. The worse was the one that was in ICU, they would not let her nurse at all for three days (she had a bowel obstruction - and pumping just wasn't enough). Then my milk came in BANG, and I swelled up like watermelons.

The rosy world of La Leche League would have women believe that if you just do it right, then it is easy. They don't acknowledge that edema even happens, nor the affect it has.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
I d'know, I thought lactation consulting was a waste of time. The whole "If you just do it right it won't hurt" thing... Balderdash. For some people, that just ain't true! When you are swollen up the size of cantaloupes with so much edema that there's nothing sticking out on the end for the baby to latch onto, then no amount of positioning, training, etc, is going to help.

For some women, the milk comes in so fast that it causes edema, and you end up with your boobs just standing out there, hard as can be, no bra needed to look well-endowed. Expressing doesn't relieve it, it takes two weeks for it to go down. And you sit there and kick your feet and bite your lip while you nurse, and just endure until it gets better. You get blistered and sore and there is no way to avoid it.

That happened with all of my first four kids, and my seventh. Less so with my fifth and sixth - the one difference there being that they nursed within half an hour of birth, none of the others did - they simply were not interested for about eight or more hours afterward, could not make them nurse. The worse was the one that was in ICU, they would not let her nurse at all for three days (she had a bowel obstruction - and pumping just wasn't enough). Then my milk came in BANG, and I swelled up like watermelons.

The rosy world of La Leche League would have women believe that if you just do it right, then it is easy. They don't acknowledge that edema even happens, nor the affect it has.
:hugs I guess I was fortunate that no one ever sugar-coated it for me like that.

I went to a lactation clinic, held M-W-F at a local church gym. Arrived, they pulled my paperwork and weighed baby, then said, "sit down in one of these comfy armchairs and nurse until we call you". Then they weighed baby again, found that she hadn't got much of anything and I was dry, and they encouraged me to keep trying but told me I needed to supplement and pump and keep coming back.

Five months, never had more than 3-6 ounces in me at a time and I went to the clinic every week.

I don't think it was La Leche though, it was run by a colleague of my doctor and there were also 2 nurse-practitioners who did all the weighing etc.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
*Drags out a kiddie pool filled with mud.... ALRIGHT LADIES!! Let's see what you've got!!
pulls Hola and Moolie up on the table for our rendition of The Thong song

shake it gals! whooooot!