Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Could be the other chickens doing that. That's how I lost my one, and just assumed that that was what happened. I've seen them all gang up on one and just start pecking away at here. I broke it up when I saw it and checked the one over for injuries.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard of that, but I'm inclined not to think that's it. The first bird was killed in a kinda open area and then dragged up to a fence (but not over the fence) where there was more cover. Same thing with this last one (except it was on totally the other side of the property). Going by where the feather loss is it looks like this one was also killed in a bit of an open area and then dragged up under the horse trailer and chewed on there. These chickens have been together all their lives....issues like that usually happen when you put new ones together... Who knows - I just want it to stop. I'm gonna keep locking them up at night and hope I catch something in the trap.

Red is in rip-roaring raging heat this morning. She's teasing the boys and picking on the other does - but I'm NOT gonna breed her now. I want her to kid in the fall, not middle of summer. Thankfully, Nubians are like Pygmies and they cycle year round - and the boys - well they're always willing to oblige.

We've got another cold/rainy front coming in right now. I've already taken care of most of the critters but I do need to go finish up feeding the quail and cleaning their pens. It's just about time to start butchering this new batch. I'm gonna try to hold out until next weekend though. Not on my list of things to do today.

Need to get busy before the rain gets here...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
The chickens that we lose at the farm that have their necks eaten that way are from hawks. So maybe it is the owl? The coon wouldn't leave that much uneaten I wouldn't think, they usually will tear it apart. Bummer on it though. Id day set up a trail cam but that might be a challenge to try to get the predator and not the chickens being chickens.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You may be right... we do have an abundance of owls here. Many years ago I had some bantams that roosted on a fence right under a security light. One night when I was up (going to the bathroom - TMI) I happened to look out the window just in time to see an owl swoop down and pluck one of those bantams right off the fence! Other times I've lost half-grown chickens to owls also - they would just swoop down into their pens and kill and eat them right there - but I've never seen an owl drag off a bird that's heavier than he is. I guess the only way to know for sure will be to get a game camera - and I've always wanted one. Maybe ...

We're watching the stupor bowl right now...talk about one sided so far - and I haven't even liked very many of the commercials.... except the one with the Herford bull in it - I had to laugh at that one!

Half time - I needa go find foooood!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Brrrr... Got up a little early to go outside and turn out the locked up chickens. They've at least started putting themselves away in the evening - but they haven't quite figured out how to shut the door behind them---stoopid birds, lol! I had moved the live trap out of their pen in to a brushy area and lo and behold - I caught something! The neighbors cat was well-fed on the sardines and cat food bait- but wasn't too thrilled with being trapped! Stoopid cat! I don't think she's my predator either....but I could be wrong. She's a very small cat and very well fed. I'd rather think she's after rats than chickens. I'll keep locking up the chickens and setting the trap and see if anything else shows up.

Should have a birth this week. Wednesday is her 'due date' and it's the only day this week that the weather is supposed to be ok....so I'm hoping she cooperates.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just be careful you don't catch a black kitty w/a white stripe! :lol:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Good luck with the trap. Sometimes it's hard if you don't know exactly what you're after to make sure you catch the right one!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The trap remains empty - ugh. Haven't caught anything (since the cat), but haven't lost another bird either. Course - I've been locking 'em up every night and turning 'em loose every morning....kind of a pain in the tuckus but worth it. I'm considering adding another LGD. One just can't be everywhere at once and especially when I've got the pasture separated now, so I kind of need one in each area. Geeze, another mouth to feed!

Oh, oh, oh - the three little cloves of garlic I planted in the little garden came up, lol. What a harvest I'll get outta that! But, I did buy some onion sets and some seed potatoes the other day and hopefully I'll plant a little this weekend. I've never really planted anything this early - but I'm gonna give it a try. If I can get a couple of bucks moved, I might start putting a few things out in the big garden too.

I keep checking the asparagus patch, but nuttin... nuttin at all and I WANT some. Guess it's a little early yet - but...but... I don't wanna wait! Patience has never been my strong suit.

Well, the wait is on. The little doe has reached her official due date - which is today. However, I guess someone neglected to tell her cuz she's not cooperating. Her udder has definitely enlarged, but her ligaments are definitely still there. Of course, she's a FF, and they can make big changes real quick...so I'm not gonna get too comfortable with her. I'll check her again before bed. I'm ready to get this over with!