Herbal Studies

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have several accredited schools within 50 miles of us and I've looked into them. Don't have the money or the time right now to take classes, but I've acquired several really good books and have made quite a few things that work really well. The trickiest thing I've found so far is knowing which herb works best. So many of them do much the same thing that it mostly comes down to experience and what's most readily available. I currently have a very well stocked cupboard full of herbal tinctures and teas...more probably than we'll ever need!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldn't have the time or money to go another route myself. I'm just studying at my own pace right now. Suffered a few set backs recently....DH's healthcare issues and a hurricane, but hoping I can proceed. My books are looking like what a Christian's Bible is supposed to look like....all underlines, circled, astricked, and with little notes to self in the margins. I got off to a great start, in the beginning, so I can't say that I am behind, but not moving as fast as I was before my setbacks. I'm about halfway done studying for my 4th test.
I think I will use some of my vacation time and get my homelife in order. Everything is a wreck. Looks like Isaac passed thru my house, instead of just around it. If I can make a good clearing, maybe I could study better and make my kids do their lessons as well. Happy herbing ya'll.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hear ya, Rhoda. Not nearly as easy to study up as it was when we were kids, is it? Life just gets in the way.

One thing I'm really trying to do is grow some of my own herbs...that way you KNOW they're fresh and how they were grown...not to mention that they're a lot cheaper. Of course, not everything will grow everywhere but eventually, I'd like to set up a small network for swapping with other herb enthusiasts...we could swap what we can grow with others for what we can't. I planted oats, clover and comfrey this spring but it turns out the chickens love it, so they've been getting the lion's share of those. My echinacea is doing well and I got a small ginko tree in that seems to be coming along well. I have feverfew growing wild all over the place...it's practically a weed! I put in some nettles this spring, but for whatever reason, they didn't make it :(

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nettles are viewed as a weed locally. I have 2 spots in the yard with them (wild). One of them is bordering a neighbor, so it might not be safe. Never planted them. The locals call them 'devil grass' or 'fire grass.' They are usually irradicated from yards. Crazy that I'm now glad to have it.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hear that! Our climate is too dry for a lot of "weeds" that are really beneficial. It must seem ridiculous to people who can't get rid of stuff that I'd actually buy and plant it! Where I grew up we had purslane all over the place...and I didn't know about what a wonderful thing it is...and it doesn't grow here. One of the really good things about herbology is that there are usually 2 or 3 or more plants that will do much the same thing, so it's a matter of finding things that will grow in your area.

Feverfew is what really kick started me. I'd been doing a lot of reading and research and was interested in the whole idea of using things that were easier on the body and if any side effects, were generally beneficial ones. Then one day, I noticed new weeds around the front door. They were really quite pretty while blooming so I left them. Then...wham...they were all over! I finally figured out that it's feverfew...dug out my books and made a tincture. I shared with a cousin who gets terrible migraines and she said it really helped. I was thrilled and that's spurred me into going further into tinctures, teas and planting.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Rhonda!

Just finished catching up on this thread and :hugs to you and hubby, between his health issues and Isaac! :hugs

I know exactly what you mean about your herbal texts looking like a Bible, as my herb books look the same and I do consider them my bible! ;)

Now here's where it gets weird...Nettles? You have Nettles? I will gladly trade you some of this years, freshly harvested Plantain and Mullein seeds for some of your Nettle seeds! Seriously! :D Send me a PM if you're interested! ;)

I got the information packet for the course you are taking but have put it on hold for the time being (due to life). Am busy right now getting the soil amended in our garden beds, we're spending plenty of $ working on getting my truck back on the road and I still need to get this years Ginseng seed ordered in. :th Thinking that I may start the course next Spring...it would be a wonderful birthday present! :D

Mickey,

We have a lot of Purslane growing here, too and I'm gladly letting it take over as the chickens love it and I've been wanting to try sneaking...I mean mixing it into salads. ;)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds good. But look......let me get some day light and talk to my other half (he is great with plants). I need to see if I can figure where the seeds are. Never in my life has anyone I know intentionally wanted to plant 'fire grass' lol. But I understand because what used to be a harmful weed is now something that I plan on guarding. Thus far in my studies with PennFoster, I haven't touched on propagation. Its mainly been what treats what and a bunch of recipes. I do have resource books to refer to however. Cool.....some weird homework. I'm on it.
Oh and I just took my 4th test. I missed one. But I got a 95. Yeehaa!!

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You may want to check out Susan Weeds herbal forum. From there you will find your way to lots of learning. She has classes and info on herbs for you to access.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check it out. I feel like I'm in nursing school again, only I have to do all my studies independently. I need to do some big time application of knowledge and very soon. I messed with my cold formula wine yesterday. I see the persimmon tree in the front of our street is ready for a harvest (wild persimmon), but I have to see what herbs I can put in with it to make it medicinal. Also, the geese and ducks have cleaned around the bees pretty good and I put them back in their pen, so I can harvest, which will be very useful with MANY of the recipes I need to try out. Might have to do all the work without DH. He might have been pulled off coumadin too soon. He is getting very winded. See ya'll.

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If he wont or cant take coumadin check out nattokinase. it will thin the blood and eat up clots really fast without side

Latest posts