Is Our Economy Going To Crash?

Is our economy going to crash?

• It is going to crash hard, all at once.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • It will be a slow gradual decline.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is crashing now and is already in decline.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • My personal economy already has crashed.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • My personal econony ain't doing so hot.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • We will have a depression worse then the 1930's

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Our econony is wonderful.

• There will be no crash, how ridiculous!

• My personal economy has never been better!

• There will be no depression.

• Total voters

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dehydrated apples, plums, strawberries, peaches and bananas yesterday. Don't know how many I'll get sealed up though...every time I walk by the dehydrator, I pop a couple into my mouth!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Venezuela has already crashed and this paints a nice picture.....that could be the USA. I wonder just how many people now on food stamps would get all excited about growing their own food? Ever try to talk some one on food stamps into planting a garden? I get the look that plainly says I have two heads and sixteen eyes, probably a forked tail as well..... :lol:

It was on MSM not too long ago that Venezuelans are crossing the border into Columbia to buy food, standing in longs lines to do so. It's making Columbians mad, because it's driving up food prices for them.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule, that's one reason why I believe their will be civil disorder. Their is a large segment of our population that is just so accustomed to receiving what they want/need without having to invest any time, effort or work on their part. This not only includes many on the dole, but many of the "privileged" as well. You think they are going to prepare for a disaster or work hard to sustain themselves when a disaster hits? And, for those who have the money now and are used to getting everything without mush effort, well their money is not going to buy them anything, is it, since money will be worthless in an economic disaster.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@MoonShadows that sounds like Zimbabwe. Their money is about worthless and South Africa has been supporting them for a long, long time now, with people nipping over the borders to either work, shop, plunder or all 3 of the above.

What is going on in the US now is reminding me of what happened in South Africa over the last 10+ years. Mismanagement, government officials chasing cars, citizens following whoever says the right things, unrest, racist issues, economic issues. It worries me. Because I've seen myself where it went. Why do you think I emigrated, along with a few million other South Africans? :)

Many people where we lived cannot afford to buy food to support themselves and their families, not helped that food prices keep going up and up and up, caused by factors ranging from drought to greed. The government taking what they want and need from those affluent enough to provide, not helping matters. We farmed on a small scale, along with others in the area and we supported more than our immediate families, involuntarily. Phone the Police to report livestock theft, you'll get told it was "a pot theft", i.e. the culprit took your animals because he needed to feed his family. Which of course only encourages the thefts, because it's "O.k." to do so.

I can go on, but you get the picture. I hope things will come right in the US. I hope everything will get resolved, before it gets worse. I hope it will not continue and go down the same road S.A. did, because it's sad to see a previously lovely, strong country fall to pieces like that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Promise people lots of free stuff and get elected. Then take away from the people who actually work for what they have, wealthy people included, take a generous portion for self and cronies and distribute the leftovers to the "poor people." Soon, every one is poor and hungry. The richest person in Venezuela is Hugo Chavez's daughter.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a generator - we get hurricanes in VA too. ;) What I meant was that as much as I'd like to log into amazon and order up the biggest and badest dehydrators, canners, solar powered this and that, etc. - I will make do with the give-away/hand-me-downs & 'entry level' purchases until I am able to upgrade.

I'm also learning how to get my normal, day in/day out stuff done without gas when possible. I've gotten pretty accurate with the swing blade and can (now) clean my fence lines w/o hitting the wire or sinking it in a post. It won't do as good of a job as a scythe, but in a pinch, I think that I could 'harvest' a good bit of hay with it.
I have an old fashioned push mower and was surprised to realize that it takes a little bit of skill to work the thing. Several 'practice' mows and you can't tell anymore what section was mowed 'by hand' and which was mowed with the riding mower.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had a few of my vacuum-sealed jars lose their seal after a few months. Anybody else have that problem, or knows what I might be doing wrong? I even tried using brand new lids; I was told that wasn't necessary but when I got my first failure I switched to new lids, but it hasn't helped. Right now I'm using the sealable bags instead.
I had some jars doing that until I started running my sealer twice on each jar. It doesn't pull the lid down tight enough with just the one cycle of my sealer.

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wish the economy would crash, so I dont have to go to work anymore. I just want to farm, raise animals and collect water. Paradise.