NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooking up some pork chops tonight. Along with some squash from the garden baked in butter and brown sugar/cinnamon.... So hungry.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The three troublemaker cockerels are gone! The Silkie was a fighter boy, they're crazy little birds. All three of them are teeny but they'll make a soup a piece. That's 9 meals for us! One more rooster to go, he is tiny too, he'll go next weekend with the 5 BB turkeys. Although... If we're getting more chickens (the free ones) maybe he should stay with them and our regular roo can stay with the rest of our chickens. That way maybe the new chickens won't beat up the girls that I really love. Oh here we go again. Chicken math!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just remembered I talked about the free chickens on BYH... Good thing most of you are on both! Lol

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All this talk of pork and piggies makes me want some myself. Still thinking about a couple of Pot Bellies so it will be easier for DH and me to do the butchering. I'm not sure about how to work up a big giant hog. Anything bigger than a deer is intimidating but I would to save money. My neighbor friend gave me a couple of front deer shoulders so I am happy for that. We don't have a gun so can't go hunting. We saw two deer yesterday in the yard. They must know we can't shoot them because it's deer season now, lol. I just cubed the meat (off the bone) and froze. I will probably use it for stew or soup. Either way we are happy. Except for a few tough cockerels we don't raise meat but I want to get some rabbits, pigs, and muscovies by Spring. More pullets too since I'm down to 5 and still haven't got any eggs. I'm thinking it will be Spring before they decide to lay. They are already more than 6 months old, the slackards!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been slacking here, posting a lot on BYH. I am rendering lard today in the crockpot, hope that goes well! And I'm making turkey soup for dinner, tons of leftover turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving.

Getting ready for winter... It s holding off so far. Got some snow last week but it's melted now. I think I've convinced my husband to process our one remaining extra roo so we can have all the chickens in one spot. He works so much in the winter I feel like I can demand he make it easier for me, lol!

Normally there are two shifts at the ski area he works at. This year they might run one shift, which could be 16 hour days. It's all weather dependent but it could be some serious overtime checks and some serious mommy daughter time for me. Kind of stinks but it's just til spring then he'll be working normal hours again.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes! And right before Christmas would be nice too!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just asked for a spot on the waiting list for a spring buckling from this farm...http://birchhollowfarm.com/

Kind of far away but they are the only breeders in New England that have (from what I can tell) really quality goats and actually test them.

Latest posts