Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well...im in an interesting spot...
a long term forum/facebook aquaintence of mine knew I was looking for a livestock guardian...
she raises a breed of not well known in the us yet but unfrotunatly gaining popularity (and for the wrong reasons) and obviously, as an GOOD breeder does shes also involved with her breed rescue...of which there are tankfully not all too many...but still, thanks to the breeds fearless and protective reputation some end up in rescue because they arnt bred to be "pets" that "sometimes bark at people"
these are supposed to be working dogs...and...today...i was offered a FARM FRINEDLY working female who needs a safe barn and a flock of her own after her last home didn't work out...
they both think my setup would be a prefect match for this girl and i do too...
BUT the parental units are pretty adamant on the "no more dogs" thing...
its realy frustrating because tomorrow i turn 30 and still have to "ask permission" and this is something that could, in the long run, save us tons of issues, if i were still in TN id go tomorrow and get her...but its not...
so now i have to figure out a way to approach the subject calmly and responsibly and see if i can build a case.
i do pretty much all the vetting for our animals myself, shes UTD on medical and free, experienced with farm life (was on a farm prior) and covering her feed would be doable.

this is not a conversation i see going my way...but today i bred demi, over the next few weeks i want to get everyone bred and by summer we should have babies on the ground...dad wants to get turkey poults and more chickens too...and right now short of spending a fortune on covered runs (and then having those birds scratch up the ground whish hes already upset at the "damage" the pigs have done) that's just not feesable.

so yeah.

in other news....life goes on lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good luck! There is absolutely nothing like a good guardian. I was losing goats to a bobcat before I got mine - and since then - no problems at all!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so were still going back and forth on the guardian issue.
ruthie and demi have no both been exposed to out nigi boy Bilbo (not sure if it was a success, he had a hard time reaching ruthie, I gave him a platform LOL!, and left them together until he no longer seemed interested)
ive got buns due around new years *fingers crossed*
and HOPEFULLY, my none producing angora doe Holly will be going home tomorrow.
someones looking for a wooler/pet none breeding and wants to meet her tomorrow. *fingers crossed*
if I can home her I can move miss poppy into that cage and save myself at least 1 arkward job (her current cage is kind of rigged up)

im currently indecided on what ill be doing in terms of buns over the next few months...I realy need to work on meat...but im not sure im ready to let all my angora go.
gonan see how kit sales go this spring, if they sell well ill keep them...if not ill probably sell them on.
same goes for the English lops...
I hae a waiting list a mile long for rex and I need to focuse more on meat, so im thinking if I can empty out the cages currently occupied b the wooles and lops I would make space for more meaties and rex...the rex seems to be where the money is but I wonder how long that can hold out.
and heck...I can feed ANY rabit culls to the dogs at any stage...its not like they care if the meats a little tough.
im expecinting 2 liters rex, 2 litters angora and 1 meaty mix litter around new years.
my meaty mix have got this and the next round to prove themelves or they will go to the freezer, so far ive had no luck getting them bred, ive got 1 of the 3 that lifted so im hoping she took...the other 2 have 1 more try.

in other news not too much going on...ready as im going to be for Christmas, and chugging along.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks, im hoign so too, both my rex look fairly rotund, nd its always hard to tell with angora...
my meaty mix doesn't realy look very large so...shes on thin ice along with the other 2 meaty mixe, which sucks because those are the ones I realy NEED lol.
but as I said, none producers don't stay, so all 3 have got until February to produce...if not, all 3 will go to freezer camp.
I can always replace them with proven does, or just increase my rex numbers and be a lile more strict about culls.

the person coming for holly confirmed this morning for the meet up, so I brought her down, clipped her nails and groomed her out. sad to see her go as shes such a sweetheart, soooo easy to groom, no problems not jumping aout or nipping, jus sits there and lets it all happen.
but she wont give me any babies...and shes about 1 yr old now.
this person sounds like a good none freezer option, spinner, wants a house bunny and wool and yeah...*fingers crossed*
meting them at 1pm...

got o pick up hay later today too, and I want to pick up treat for the dogs for tomorrow, then this afternoon iv got more cleaning to do and goods to prep for tomorrows dinner.
making apple crumble and chocolate pudding pie, both of which can be made ahead.

in other news...
Merry Christmas to all that celebrate, and hpe everyone elses holiday season no matter what it is, is going wonderfully.
personally I celebrate yule and the coming back of the sun, but the family celebrates Christmas, so we just kinda mush everything together.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to you as well, Pink. Are you getting the rain up there that I'm getting?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holly has gone home! yay, lady drove about 3 hrs from the jersey shore, said when she saw her "oh my, it was worth the drive!" I think holly will be very jolly in her new home :D

and yeah, LOTS of rain, its like 50 degrees but it feels so cold because its so damp, were altenating between drizzle and downpour, started yesterday and supposed to rain all through tomorrow night :/ im going to need an ark lol.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad to hear Holly has a new home.

At least we got up into the 60s yesterday. But, it was still very wet out there.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so today 2014 let my know in a big kina way what it thinks...
I got up to find my favorite (and pregnant) rex doe struggling to breath...
she passed in my arms about 5 mins later, lost her, lost the litter she was carrying (8 days till due date, they wouldn't have been viable even I I had a surrogate doe to take them.)
then we drove almost an hour to Ikea...which BTW is closed on SUNDAYS....WTF?
then we get home to find our 10 yr old Chihuahua having difficulty catching his breath. he was diagnosed with CHF about 2 yrs ago...at 1:30 am he left this world in my dads arms...

im trying to hold it together...I don't even...
im broken already...im held together with bits of tape and glue and pure force of will...and now theres another crack to patch and im out of paste and shiney ribbon....

things are just...more rocks on the pile...ive still not recovered form the last landslide and now....now I feel the foundations crumbling and shifting again.

but tomorrow ill get out of bed, and ill tend the livestock and ill do whatever the hell it is im supposed to o with my days and ill keep going, like NOTHING has changed...because that's the only way I can handle it...to let life toss one more rock on the pile while I grin and pretend they are simply feathers, and mabe, if I fake it long enough...ill belive it.

Latest posts