Super Newb

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome. I gardened for years in small beds in our front yard. We had plenty to eat and even some to dehydrate, can and freeze. I also went to U-pick farms for blueberry and blackberries. I froze, made jam and cordial. I understand your longing for more space, but you can do a lot in a small space, plus it will get you some practice! If you want gardening help, TEG is a great site. We just moved to 8 acres and I have a bodacious weed patch to convert to a garden. I'll be starting a thread on TEG on that. Again, welcome, you have come to the right place.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just because I was talking to my mom about jams again, Spooner Berry Farm down on the Orting/Sumner Highway sells the previous days berries at a discount. When the seasons start of course.

They sell plants as well. Should be starting to sell those soon. I'm thinking of getting new strawberries from them.

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! There's tons to learn and plenty of wonderful folks willing to share their knowledge :) I've only started my own SS journey (within the last year) but have already learned so much from everyone! Remember the old saying: There are no stupid questions!
:D

My dad and his girlfriend were pretty SS about 18 years ago but we lost that when they split up. While I still talk to her every once in a while, that is pretty much lost to me. I've always wanted to go back. In 2010 I started doing research. I do a lot of reasearch but the actual step into doing it is a challenge. So is changing old ways.

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome. I gardened for years in small beds in our front yard. We had plenty to eat and even some to dehydrate, can and freeze. I also went to U-pick farms for blueberry and blackberries. I froze, made jam and cordial. I understand your longing for more space, but you can do a lot in a small space, plus it will get you some practice! If you want gardening help, TEG is a great site. We just moved to 8 acres and I have a bodacious weed patch to convert to a garden. I'll be starting a thread on TEG on that. Again, welcome, you have come to the right place.

Part of the problem is we rent this place so anything I do has to be non-evasive and when I move almost has to appear to never been there... Makes it difficult to do anything. We've thought about moving to eastern wa because land is cheaper to buy over there.

Just because I was talking to my mom about jams again, Spooner Berry Farm down on the Orting/Sumner Highway sells the previous days berries at a discount. When the seasons start of course.

They sell plants as well. Should be starting to sell those soon. I'm thinking of getting new strawberries from them.

I've gone there a few times. We have a blueberry plant, strawberry plant, raspberry plant, and two grape plants, and a blackberry plant in pots. But I might need to go get extras to dehydrate. I dehydrate bananas all the time but I really don't think I'm doing the others right.

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yeah I've just started my SS journey and oh goodness is it hard to change old habits. So many struggles right now between wanting to stay home with my son and working a full time job for one.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are caught on the same tough spot as millions of other working moms. It is not an easy journey, kudos to you for trying to better your family's life.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's hard work being self-sufficient-- at any level. That's why so few people opt for that lifestyle. You have to make sacrifices... like fewer, if any, vacations, and going out in the rain or snow to catch an errant animal. But we do it because there is such a rush of satisfaction when you can step back and see all you've accomplished.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm a little late, but :welcome. Look into container gardening. There's a ton of info out there and some plants are actually made to grow in containers. Some seeds even tell you they're for container gardens.

Latest posts