What did you do to save $ today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow you guys are good!

I made a tug toy for my dog. Saved $15 - 25. She loves it way more than "real" tugs - polarfleece braid, sherpa fleece, firehouse, leather, linen, jute. I had a rope on her training ball that she likes. Found some more in the garage and braided it. She LOVES it. (Yay!)

Neighbor brought over some food. A turkey roast, simply potatoes, and beef soup bones. Her husband is a truck driver and hauls food. She has friends with the people that do farmers market. Her family goes and plants and they get free food. I am amazed at how much free food she gets and thankful she is kind enough to share.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday was a good coupon day for me as well!

Free hair dye, free razors, free deodorant, free body wash, $.99 dog biscuits, $.99 laundry detergent..I still have $30 in free rite aid money that I need to spend, and since it's tight this month, I'll probably be using it to buy food, instead of using it to buy stuff to get more money back. I also have $10 for JC Penney that I might use to get some summer earrings or something for myself. For almost free, of course.

The key to free shopping is being patient. You CAN'T clip a coupon and immediately go out and use it. You might save a few dollars here and there, but if you sit on the coupons for a while, you're bound to get a better deal.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Today, RU and I went and bought some used fence posts! They cost $2.00 each as opposed to $7.00 or more. So, instead of spending $140 or so, we spent $40! :weee

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH and I got the final copies of our new mortgage modification notarized and sent back to the bank. They made an error when calculating the interest and our payments dropped $75 per month!!

A bank that can't add?? Shocking!! :ep

Saved us $$ in the long run and we ended up getting a .25% lower interest rate as well.:weee

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We used pallets and a bunch of recycled stuff to make a garden fence for my veggie patch, er, one of them at least. The pallets will give me a lot of trellis type stuff and the sunlight will come through so the plants will still get sun.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I met a cow, and got some free milk. I'm making yogurt :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I went into a nearby fancy restaurant and asked if they could save some empty wine bottles for me.
The manager said " No, but you can take some of the ones that are over there".

I got 15 wine bottles for free! Love that price :ya Most of the wine recipes I want to try - make about 15 bottles worth of wine.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hubby bought me a pressure canner!! :weee Which in hindsight was $200, but It's the All American Canner, and it was on sale for $200, and I took the free shipping (even thought I wanted it faster, as it's my mother's day gift...) so I saved $30 on shipping...annnnd It will save us money in the long run!! Not right away, but in the future.

I also bought a huge quantity of food saver bags off ebay, I have tried this variety and they work just as good (I mean it too!) and I save A HUGE amount off the brand name variety.

Also I bought seeds this year, and started all our plants from seeds. I am "over planting" this year, to try and get us a good harvest. I also planted a "spring" and "fall" garden so that we are utilizing our garden space more. Any additional plants I started that can't be planted, will be sold on craigslist.

Found some strawberry plants and some raspberry plants for a steal on craigslist. Will be getting those rather than buying them from the nursery.

Also put duck eggs for sale on craigslist and have had an overwhelming response. Not good, as I was only looking at getting rid of a dozen or so a month! :hu My other ducks need to start laying!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
raiquee - Doing great! All that stuff will keep paying off for a long time. Save the phone numbers for all the people that will want eggs. They aren't that easy to get, so your market is not likely to dry up.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On wednesday I got 2 hazelnut (filbert) trees. They had chalk spots on them so I got them for 20% off. I guess her DH forgot to move all the potted plants before he did a project.

Ya Ive been looking for some. Hard to get here because you have to buy them from a local nursery. Our local nurserys are expensive and rarely carry them. You cant buy them from an online or catalog source. For some reason you cant ship them into the state.