100 Things Challenge - Join Me!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I would NEVER give away any of my knitting goodies.. or crochet goodies.

I did give two garbage bags full of yarn to the school a year or so ago - I don't like that cheap scratchy junk at all, and it was left here at the house by my hubby's grandmother.
I'm not a snob really. She made us a afghan, but its made with that red heart stuff and I can't stand it. I still have the afghan, I mean what can I do?

See I'd never get down to 100 things!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I'm having a tough debate with this one.

Bamboo double-pointed knitting needle sets. Purchase price $70. Like new condition.

I know HOW to knit. I CAN knit socks and mittens. I don't usually accomplish anything and it always seems like more trouble than it is worth. I don't have any yarn.

I like knowing that I *could* make my own socks as mine wear out. I like having quality equipment. (If I replace these in the future, I won't be getting good, expensive ones!)

If I donate them, they will be sold dramatically undervalue and it seems like a waste. I don't think I can give them to an SS-newbie because they're needles that can only be used on intermediate projects - not a beginner thing.

They are small and take up very little space. Knitting is relaxing when I'm in an irritable/anxious mood. I tend to want to knit in winter.

So...

Keep or "Toss" ?
KEEP them. I use DPN's for hats when knitting in the round - I use circulars more than DPN's. But I also use DPN's for guage swatches or for knitting smaller things - its nice not to have a long needle sticking out for no reason. You can buy those little rubbery tip protectors, and use them on the back end so stitches don't fall off.

KEEP THEM!!

I was looking at sets a few days ago - I'm more after the circulars, but the sets are VERY expensive. Circulars are my fav's!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If your long-term goal is to be more ss....keep them. If your thinking is shtf, keep them. If you enjoy knitting in winter....keep them.

There. That counts as three votes! :lol:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have gotten rid of so much stuff this summer. Unfortunately it's to make room for what I know is coming for upcoming birthdays and holidays. The inlaws drive me nuts with all the crap they give the kids. I have told them to cut back, they continue to ignore our requests. :rolleyes:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If your long-term goal is to be more ss....keep them. If your thinking is shtf, keep them. If you enjoy knitting in winter....keep them.

There. That counts as three votes! :lol:
Honestly, knitting needles don't take up that much space, do they? That's 4 votes (and an excuse for me not to get rid of any of mine ;) )

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I thought about what I can knit, what I want to knit, and (pending SHTF), what I would knit.

I am keeping a set of 6.0 mm - all purpose size. 2.00 mm DPN - for socks. 3.50 mm DPM for mittens.

I'm still debating my plastic 10.0. I don't want them except they are FAST to knit something on, and (pending SHTF) that would be important.

The rest have been spoken for by SS members. :love ya, but aren't you guys supposed to be purging too?

:gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I thought about what I can knit, what I want to knit, and (pending SHTF), what I would knit.

I am keeping a set of 6.0 mm - all purpose size. 2.00 mm DPN - for socks. 3.50 mm DPM for mittens.

I'm still debating my plastic 10.0. I don't want them except they are FAST to knit something on, and (pending SHTF) that would be important.

The rest have been spoken for by SS members. :love ya, but aren't you guys supposed to be purging too?

:gig
10's could be used to knit up some big slippers and then felt them till they fit. Those bigger sizes are used alot in felted items. I think I have a 10 circular for the felted slippers I knitted last year.

I need to organize mine better, they're just all in a drawer. :ep with my crochet hooks and stitch holders etc.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If anyone is de-stashing yarn, please send me a PM. No sense in keeping knitting needles around with no yarn!

(So much for getting rid of stuff! :gig )

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
If anyone is de-stashing yarn, please send me a PM. No sense in keeping knitting needles around with no yarn!

(So much for getting rid of stuff! :gig )
I found some good deals on Ravelry.com

If you click on YARNS and then pick the kind of yarn - then click on the "stashes" tab, you'll find people selling some good stuff for cheap! :idunno

I'm knitting some hats for the troops, and don't want to buy cheapo junky yarn. Got some wool on there the other day for $4 a hank. (220 wool) unfortunatly its PINK so I'll have to use it for myself.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This is getting a little harder today. My current goal is to purge 10 items a day - or whatever days I get around to this.

I have exactly one for the day so far. I think I will go through my dog training stuff. I'm pretty much done with dog training. If I go back to it in 10 years, I'll want new equipment anyway. Some of it is in saleable condition too.

That was tough, but I put A LOT in the Goodwill bag. I kept 5 high quality collars (The $50 each type), 4 clickers, a vest that fits my dog, and a handful of toys that I consider household items. The collar and leash that my dog always wears, a treat pouch. I think I was finally able to do this purge because I've pulled down the websites and given up on it. I'm done.

I have a new goal. 100 personal items and 100 things PER hobby.

ETA: Tax value of donations from since the beginning of this thread: $174 :D