101 uses for holey-heeled socks?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I use them on shearing day for alpacas. The ones that are spitty get one over their mouth. :D
Does this mean I now need to get an alpaca for each holey sock? :p

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
freemotion said:
ksalvagno said:
I use them on shearing day for alpacas. The ones that are spitty get one over their mouth. :D
Does this mean I now need to get an alpaca for each holey sock? :p
Now there is a reason to get Alpacas if I ever heard one. I say yes.:lol:

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Only if they are spitters when you do stuff to them. Then you can use them every time you have to handle them. :lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I wear through sock heels faster than I'd like and they are not darnable type socks (just plain ol' storeboughten inexpensive socks).

Aside from the whole "you can stuff things with 'em" genre (which is what I've mostly done in the past), what other things can you think of for socks with holes in the heels?

Thanks,

Pat
Stuff a bar of homemade soap in the toe to fight off the zombies? Seriously though if they are streachy at all I either cut loops or in a sprial (sp) to get longer strips which I use to tie plants to stakes or other supports. I like to stake my veggie vines and have started collecting for the next season. some natural fibers will break down in compost and the nylon ones will hang up on my fork in the spring for reuse.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
~gd said:
I either cut loops or in a sprial (sp) to get longer strips which I use to tie plants to stakes or other supports.
Oh, cool, can you really do that? (And the loops described for the potholder thing). I had assumed they'd all unravel if cut. Neato! Off to the rag bag I go... :)

Thanks,

Pat, who still wants to know about this "sock rug" business :p

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Pat, like you I wanted to know. So I did a google search on "sock rugs". They are really cute.

Edited to take out way to many spaces between a re.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I just decided to try a little experiment...

I used small round patches of fleece to fix a pair of socks with blown out heels. It worked great!!!

Just cut the patch to fit the whole heel, not just the hole. You want to make sure where you stitch doesn't end up where you will be putting weight.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
haven't tried it, but somebody's idea about cutting it in a spiral reminded me of t-shirt yarn (google it) - so if you knit or crochet, that's another re-use.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I split them open with scissors to make grease rags when changing oil in my vehicles.

As a vinyl siding installer,I use them to clean the siding as I install the siding.

Wrap them around the outside faucets to protect from freezing.

Put them in nesting boxes for chickens.

Andy J

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You might also be able to snip them up to use for small pillow stuffing. I think terry socks would work best for that, cut in about 1" squares. We used stuff like that when I was a kid.