Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hand quilted for years, and loved it! My top suggestions for newbies is to:

Use 100% cotton ONLY (the poly/cotton blends will stretch a bit and throw everything off whack),
DON'T use a sheet for the backing (it might be cotton but you'll have a devil of a time quilting through it)
If you can afford it, buy one of those mats used for roller cutting and the roller cutter. The mats have a grid on them, so it's easy to put your block on it and square it up with the roller cutter. I also used a metal 2' long ruler to cut against when using the roller cutter. Really helpful if you want to do a crazy quilt.
And I found a leather thimble that actually fit and I'd wear.

I got to the point where I saved any scrap of material that was one inch square for minature quilts. Had one that had pieces the size of my little fingernail, but that one had to be sewn on a machine with backing paper, then the paper torn off the block afterwards. What fun!

One of my favorites were white on white miniatures. Picture frame size quilts, with off white muslin and decorative hand stitching in white thread, in the tiniest stitches I could manage. A 6" x 8" quilt would take me about 8 hours to quilt, another hour or so to finish the edges with tatting or a bit of lace and use hardly any material or batting. Snazzy presents! I worked on them all through the year to have gifts at Christmas and I bet they cost me probably $1 each, if that. Just time.

Ask around, hit the thrift stores for material. I got tons of scraps from friends to get my stash built up. Old dresses, shirts...if you know they're cotton. Mark down table, sales at the fabric/craft stores. You used to be able to order bundles of 'fat quarters', from quilting magazines pretty reasonably and there would be all kinds of prints and colors. The fat quarters are typically 18" wide and 22 to 24" long (each piece of material). It's a cheap way to get lots of different colors and patterns. (or used to be, anyway!)

Have fun!!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I recently just finished a wall hanging and a lap quilt. They are the first projects I've completed beginning to end.

My first quilt was/is a Bear Paw pattern that I completely hand stitched starting around 1998. The piecing went pretty fast considering the top is 80" x 80". :) I got stalled on the quilting. It is still on my frame and I work on a few rows every year. LOL I do feel a bit more motivated on it now that I did binding on two quilts that went together super easy.

I do love hand sewing on quilts as I feel I have more control of the joints and such. And I feel my hand stitched quilt will be strong and durable. The machine sewing, though not as perfect, sure goes a lot faster. ;)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I did a log cabin design on the two quilts I completed. One of them is my older son's baby blanket and he is 19 so it HAS been awhile. I agree with Marianne, Neko-chan, you need one of those quilt cutting boards and a rotary cutter. They really help.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just got a book from the library called 'Log Cabin Fever' and am planning on attempting a quilt for Aeryn for Christmas... I'm also going to make a little crazy quilt from all her old clothes, but that's a project for a year or so down the road.

I'm going to follow the patterns for the first try at quilting, and I plan on machine piecing it together but hand quilting it. I did get a rotary cutter and mat, I used it for cutting out patterns because I already make clothes... so it's just a small step farther to quilting.

I've always wanted to learn quilting and like Neko I think it will be a great thing to work on while it's cold and snowy outside during the winter.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My quilting friend felt that Log Cabin is the easiest one to do first. Or one of them. I had a great book that gave step-by-step directions, I highly recommend getting a quilting book. But I'm the kind of person who needs the directions right in front of me and I can't "wing it."

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The local library might have some quilting books. Maybe you can check one out, then run a copy of the pattern you want. I'd hit the thrift shop, too. I donated almost all my quilting magazines and books to our local DAV, so maybe someone else has, too.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
The local library might have some quilting books. Maybe you can check one out, then run a copy of the pattern you want. I'd hit the thrift shop, too. I donated almost all my quilting magazines and books to our local DAV, so maybe someone else has, too.
This. The pattern I'm making is from a quilting magazine I found at the library, and I've also found some great books over the years.

The other thing you can do is google for free quilting patterns--especially if you do paper foundation piecing. I made baby quilts with this method, and got my paper patterns off the internet (back when it was a new thing and dial-up was super super super slow!)

edited: Just found the photos of the internet pattern paper-pieced baby quilts I made--these were made from scraps leftover from other sewing projects and given as baby shower gifts to church friends back in 1997:

hearts.jpg

pinwheel.jpg

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They are beautifullllll! I would LOVE to figure out a way to use my daughter's ribbons from her horse showing days and make a quilt for her, but now sure I could use the silk ribbons? Suggestions?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hoosier said:
I was at an Amish quilt auction for a short while Saturday
OMG!!! Was that the Milroy auction? I allowed myself to get too busy and I forgot all about it.