abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I haven't started yet, but my plan is to do something like this, where I just have to sew the big blocks and applique the fans on once I sew the fan together.... I want the fan sections asian fabrics, and it will be black, red, and gold for the rest.

4113-0w-01.jpg

japanese%20fan%203.jpg

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
ooooooo pretty! I would love to be able to do stippling with my machine but dang, its hard! :p

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Abi, check out a few Sari shops--sometimes they have absolutely beautiful embroidered silks that would look gorgeous in that pattern!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
moolie said:
Abi, check out a few Sari shops--sometimes they have absolutely beautiful embroidered silks that would look gorgeous in that pattern!
Ooooh! aye aye! I shall do this :D

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lovelorihadams - They are all nice, but something about the one for relay for life really struck me, and I am not ususally a flower person.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Cool- I started quilting with a log cabin quilt I made when I was pregnant with my son way way many years ago. I gave that one to my mother- she still has it. Then I made a jeans quilt for my son- cut squares out of saved up ripped jeans that friends and family gave me and added a heavy almost duck cloth for a churn-dash pattern. It is amazingly heavy and couldn't be actually quilted- I tied it instead. Then I cut the squares and started piecing a jeans quilt for my daughter in attic windows- I was going to embroider stars and moon and things in glittery thread. But it is still in pieces and she is 27 :lol: I did a white on white (well, ivory on ivory) wedding quilt for my friend from college quilted in light blue thread. It was gorgeous! I also have squares stitched up in bear paw made from pieces of my old flannel shirts that gave up the ghosts that hasn't been put together yet. I am quilting a lone star quilt that I actually finished piecing with a rolling star border in purples and greens. It is going to look fantastic if I ever finish it!

And, if you can find one that is comfortable my most favorite quilting thimble ever is the kind with a ridged sort of cup on the top that you catch the needle in. My underneath hand just suffers until the calluses build up :/ I've never found a good sensitive underneath hand thimble. The leather ones don't let me get my stitches small enough.

Boy, now I feel like I should go find my quilting stuff that I haven't really looked at since moving here 8 years ago!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Windyhillfarms said:
They are beautifullllll! I would LOVE to figure out a way to use my daughter's ribbons from her horse showing days and make a quilt for her, but now sure I could use the silk ribbons? Suggestions?
I have seen a few of those, they are beautiful, I imagine it is tedious material to work with but the memories would last a lifetime!

Google horse show ribbon quilts, there are some awesome examples.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Yes it would. Did you use a regular sewing machine? My machine has a do dad for quilting, but it still fed the top layer faster than the bottom one and looked like crap after a bit of sewing. I too, used tons of safety pins. *sigh*

I wonder how the blanket would be to hand quilt through?
Yes I machine quilted it, but I can't imagine that it would be much harder to hand quilt it.

I liked the fact that the blanket used as middle does not shift or bunch - either when sewing it or later during washing. ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am also working on a blue and white HAND sewn quilt. It will probably take me years to finish (and I don't care :p ).

I have a book of different quilt block patterns. Each block ends up the same size, but each block is a totally different pattern. I have cut enough blocks (each a different pattern) to do a king size quilt. All of the blocks are royal blue and white as the base colors. Then I have put a copy of each blocks pattern and the pieces into a ziplock bag.

When ever I am going somewhere where waiting is guaranteed .. doctor appointments, boring meetings, DMV ... I grab a bag a spool of blue thread and a pack of needles. When a block is finished I put it back into it's ziplock labeled with block pattern and slip it onto a big notebook ring with the rest of them. Someday, when they are all finished I will start joining them with white bars to frame the blocks. Then I will eventually tackle a hand quilting job. Eventually being my favorite word! :cool: