2012 TSHTF Preps

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I got the water from the Cape Cod area in MA.

Most of the good sea salts are mined from old deposits, like one in Utah.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Watch out for squirrl meat. I have heard that it can carry some pretty weird prion diseases that rot your brain.
Yeah, you just don't eat the brains. People ate squirrel brains because of the high fat content.

You also have to check the liver for white spots. If it has white spots, it is a diseased animal and you throw it out.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My MIL talks about eating squirrel brains & scrambled eggs... :sick
You are supposed to avoid the spinal cord area as well, correct?

The only use brains have in my book is to make braintan buckskin.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
My MIL talks about eating squirrel brains & scrambled eggs... :sick
You are supposed to avoid the spinal cord area as well, correct?

The only use brains have in my book is to make braintan buckskin.
So, what... No squirrel tenderloin?! :( Lol.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
No, I just meant the actual backbone & cord. Although, there ain't much to a squirrel's tenderloin... :p
I beg to differ......makes really, really tiny butterfly steaks......just roll them in flour, eat with toothpicks........

:lol:

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to ponder something about prions here...
I have never heard any explanation for why the danger from prion encephalopathies supposedly only comes from eating brain or spinal tissue. Meat is just muscle, which contains neural tissue throughout. It's peripheral nervous system, not central, but of course the two are connected. So suppose a particular animal has a prion disease like BSE or so forth, *why* would regular muscle tissue be *any* safer?

I've asked at least half a dozen professors this question. They always go blank for a moment, then frown, then look unsettled. And no one has an answer. :/

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
:gig Thank you for all the "squirrel innards knowledge" Ladies! Good to know so when the SHTF I dont eat the bad stuff..:lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I would love to ponder something about prions here...
I have never heard any explanation for why the danger from prion encephalopathies supposedly only comes from eating brain or spinal tissue. Meat is just muscle, which contains neural tissue throughout. It's peripheral nervous system, not central, but of course the two are connected. So suppose a particular animal has a prion disease like BSE or so forth, *why* would regular muscle tissue be *any* safer?

I've asked at least half a dozen professors this question. They always go blank for a moment, then frown, then look unsettled. And no one has an answer. :/
I think it is still in the meat, but in lower doses. That doesn't make it safer, if you ask me.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not convinced it's safer, either, Drakemaiden. From what I understand about the way prions work, a single affected protein should be enough to cause illness, although perhaps it would take longer. And nerve tissue is nerve tissue is nerve tissue, know what I mean? :/
I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but I have to wonder if the "it's only neural tissue that's dangerous" is just a flat out lie in order to prevent a panic.