2012 TSHTF Preps

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
YEAST can carry prions so don't think if you avoid animal protein you are somehow prion-free.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I'm not convinced it's safer, either, Drakemaiden. From what I understand about the way prions work, a single affected protein should be enough to cause illness, although perhaps it would take longer. And nerve tissue is nerve tissue is nerve tissue, know what I mean? :/
I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but I have to wonder if the "it's only neural tissue that's dangerous" is just a flat out lie in order to prevent a panic.
So, dont eat squirrel meat? Help! I am confused....:hide

Wifezilla

Reaction score
http://www.mad-cow.org/yeast_cell.html
Looks like the yeast prions aren't dangerous though. I just stumbled on the yeast thing while trying to figure out why brain tissue and spinals columns are the only things that appear to transmit the disease.

So, dont eat squirrel meat? Help! I am confused
Don't eat the squirrel's BRAINS or spinal column.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
delia, I'm not making any assertions about what meat to eat or not eat :p

Just a nerdy biologist here, noting that the published data about prions is seriously lacking in the whole making sense arena.
Wifezilla, I'd eat up some links about yeast prions, too.
From what I understand about fungal prions, they're not pathogenic, just a particular configuration, but I *always* love more data :D

Edited because my post was too little, too late, oops :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I barely remember certain detail from Anatomy & Physiology II, but aren't brain cells very different from peripheral nerve cells? And the spinal column has different types of cells, too, and is the link from the brain....or it could be the cerebro-spinal fluid that is the link between the brain and spinal column. This does not go to the peripheral nerves. Just thinking "out loud....":p

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
http://www.mad-cow.org/yeast_cell.html
Looks like the yeast prions aren't dangerous though. I just stumbled on the yeast thing while trying to figure out why brain tissue and spinals columns are the only things that appear to transmit the disease.

So, dont eat squirrel meat? Help! I am confused
Don't eat the squirrel's BRAINS or spinal column.
Thank you WZ! I was just making sure..;)

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
delia, I'm not making any assertions about what meat to eat or not eat :p

Just a nerdy biologist here, noting that the published data about prions is seriously lacking in the whole making sense arena.
Wifezilla, I'd eat up some links about yeast prions, too.
From what I understand about fungal prions, they're not pathogenic, just a particular configuration, but I *always* love more data :D

Edited because my post was too little, too late, oops :p
OMGosh! You are not nerdy...you are giving me information!:)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I barely remember certain detail from Anatomy & Physiology II, but aren't brain cells very different from peripheral nerve cells? And the spinal column has different types of cells, too, and is the link from the brain....or it could be the cerebro-spinal fluid that is the link between the brain and spinal column. This does not go to the peripheral nerves. Just thinking "out loud....":p
They are different, but the thing about the prions that cause encephalopathies is that they affect normal proteins (not the whole cells), causing the normal protein to change it's folding from what it should be into a series of beta-pleated sheets. It seems like this should have kind of a chain effect, know what I mean?
/Also just thinkin' out loud :p

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I might be more worried about squirrel if there was a single documented case of someone catching a prion disease from a squirrel that didn't involve brain eating. Leave the brains for the zombies :D

Latest posts