2012 TSHTF Preps

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
freemotion said:
I barely remember certain detail from Anatomy & Physiology II, but aren't brain cells very different from peripheral nerve cells? And the spinal column has different types of cells, too, and is the link from the brain....or it could be the cerebro-spinal fluid that is the link between the brain and spinal column. This does not go to the peripheral nerves. Just thinking "out loud....":p
They are different, but the thing about the prions that cause encephalopathies is that they affect normal proteins (not the whole cells), causing the normal protein to change it's folding from what it should be into a series of beta-pleated sheets. It seems like this should have kind of a chain effect, know what I mean?
/Also just thinkin' out loud :p
Oh, of course! I know exactly....what.....you..........are..................talkin'.......................................................a........bout........................................sure I do! :lol:

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla's right, we're probably good so long as we don't all start munchin' brains. Would squirrel brains make us into squirelly zombies?
Sorry I derailed the thread with the prion thing, I'm a huge PITA about stuff when I can't figure out *why* :hide

PS: Freemotion, my proteins ramble was awful. This might be better...imagine your basic cell membrane as a piece of peanut brittle. The candy is the cell's covering, and the peanuts are all the embedded proteins that let things in and out of the cell. That's what I was rambling about.
Ok, I'll stop now >_<

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, you all Sooooo lost me way back there...all I can think about now is Brain brittle :idunno :gig
eta: This is your brain....this is your brain in brittle! :p

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
brains.. brains.... need brains....

Sorry,... I thought that this was the Zombie thread... :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I barely remember certain detail from Anatomy & Physiology II, but aren't brain cells very different from peripheral nerve cells? And the spinal column has different types of cells, too, and is the link from the brain....or it could be the cerebro-spinal fluid that is the link between the brain and spinal column. This does not go to the peripheral nerves. Just thinking "out loud....":p
Myelinated, or myelin sheath ring a bell....? :D

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a rare, degenerative, invariably fatal brain disorder. It affects about one person in every one million people per year worldwide; in the United States there are about 200 cases per year.

CJD belongs to a family of human and animal diseases known as the transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs). Spongiform refers to the characteristic appearance of infected brains, which become filled with holes until they resemble sponges under a microscope. CJD is the most common of the known human TSEs. Other human TSEs include kuru, fatal familial insomnia (FFI), and Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker disease (GSS). Kuru was identified in people of an isolated tribe in Papua New Guinea and has now almost disappeared. FFI and GSS are extremely rare hereditary diseases, found in just a few families around the world. Other TSEs are found in specific kinds of animals. These include bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), which is found in cows and is often referred to as mad cow disease; scrapie, which affects sheep and goats; mink encephalopathy; and feline encephalopathy. Similar diseases have occurred in elk, deer, and exotic zoo animals.
Read several articles but didn't see anything about squirrels....could be you can safely dine on your neighborhood plethora! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Wifezilla's right, we're probably good so long as we don't all start munchin' brains. Would squirrel brains make us into squirelly zombies?
Sorry I derailed the thread with the prion thing, I'm a huge PITA about stuff when I can't figure out *why* :hide

PS: Freemotion, my proteins ramble was awful. This might be better...imagine your basic cell membrane as a piece of peanut brittle. The candy is the cell's covering, and the peanuts are all the embedded proteins that let things in and out of the cell. That's what I was rambling about.
Ok, I'll stop now >_<
OH! Now I do get it. Put it in food terms and I get it. Put it in peanut brittle terms and I really get it!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
freemotion said:
Myelinated, or myelin sheath ring a bell....? :D
Yeah, that is kinda what I was thinking.....I was a bit better at pathology, so I was thinking about de-mylenation of peripheral nerves as in MS.....and Sally Fallon mentioned glial cells in a lecture, and those are only in the brain....along with neurons....right? Not info I use everyday!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I would love to ponder something about prions here...
I have never heard any explanation for why the danger from prion encephalopathies supposedly only comes from eating brain or spinal tissue. Meat is just muscle, which contains neural tissue throughout. It's peripheral nervous system, not central, but of course the two are connected. So suppose a particular animal has a prion disease like BSE or so forth, *why* would regular muscle tissue be *any* safer?

I've asked at least half a dozen professors this question. They always go blank for a moment, then frown, then look unsettled. And no one has an answer. :/
You are right. It is not any safer. Mad cow disease for example is simply spread by eating the meat of a mad cow. US citizens who traveled England during a specific time period are requested not to donate blood as they are candidate for the disease. I have had two patients over the years with the disease, both obtained in foreign countries by eating the contaminated meat there.

There is much that they do not understand about this diease, but apparently some squirrels have it, as well as some deer. Not sure if it is exactly as mad cow but it is a prion disease. I have heard more problems from eating squirrel, don't know why, maybe just what the media picked up on.

Deer and elk meat should be tested before eating it, especially if you live in a geographical area that is known for it. Most states run some tests annually on game. You only hear about it if they come back positive but it is not a fool proof test as one animal may have it and another not.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
heres an article of prion disease in deer and elk as reported by the CDC. You can read their stats and believe them if you want to.

But I have looked at their stats on Lyme disease and it just astounds me that no cases are reported in Utah or Idaho but mean while I know doctors who have waiting rooms filled with lyme cases.

I don't trust the cdc as far as I could throw them... and I would like to throw them out!

http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/EID/vol12no10/06-0019.htm

and with squirrel
http://www.rense.com/general32/cdc.htm

and general info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt–Jakob_disease