2022 Resolutions List

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Every time I try to make mashed potatoes they come out like lumpy glue😂 my husband’s ancestors were Irish, I can feel his disappointment though he’d never say anything 🤣

have you ever tried a ricer?

i really don't care if there are lumps or even peelings in them so we don't usually have the gluey problem. when i really want to impress Mom i use the hand mixer after hand mashing them as much as i can get the lumps out. we used to have a ricer back in the childhood days and i wish i had a good one now as that makes it much easier. rice them and just mix a few moments with the milk and butter (and sour cream :) ).

Last edited:

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Every time I try to make mashed potatoes they come out like lumpy glue😂 my husband’s ancestors were Irish, I can feel his disappointment though he’d never say anything 🤣
It's the kind of potatoes you are using. Do not use potatoes such as Red La Soda or Norland Reds as that is the kind of mashed potatoes they will make.

The commonly sold white potatoes will make good mashed potatoes as will Red Pontiacs. I recently made excellent mashed potatoes using Red Gold potatoes.

Stay away from the waxy potatoes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think the glue-yness comes from over mixes and releasing an abundance of the starches. Also, I warm up my milk and butter so not to chill the potatoes as keep them creamy
^^^this.

Choose the right potato, overcook them so they mash with minimal handling, and add fat first before liquids to coat the starches.

I make fluffy mashed potatoes, so i use russett potatoes. I pressure cook them until they fall apart, mash them by hand, and add lots of cream and butter - maybe milk at the end to thin them a bit.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm getting on a roll with better food choices. Cronometer app helps me a lot because I can put my nutrition goals in and then test different foods until I can create meals that fit my goals. Eating right-for-me helps my fasting fall into place effortlessly.

I'm eating a lot of veggies! Meaty tomato sauce is my go-to right now. But cabbage fits my goals too. (vitamin C from raw foods, fiber) Coleslaw.

I am doing well enough to plan a grocery list and a bit of a menu plan. My garden plan fits too!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So, got through the past few weeks as mentioned previously with little progress. All good except for the wife being surprised to find out she had kidney stones. One passed this past week, I think she was working on the second one yesterday.

This weekend, made some headway. The hole in the garage is getting larger. Spent an hour and a half in the kitchen with minor visible progress, but progress nonetheless. Tying this to the new house discussion, why have a big kitchen if we can't keep a smaller kitchen from being overrun with clutter? I am going to go through the over a dozen tumblers and set aside those that can't be run through the dishwasher. Some with the extra coffee mugs obtained while traveling. (Yes, this is nice, but why?)

Definite goal....by Easter get her craft stuff into some sort of organization. Right now there are piles of stuff in the living room from her making Christmas presents. Just no good place right now to store it. Yes, most of it is in totes, but stacks of totes are in the way.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seeing you post on this thread….. I have been derelict in my sit-ups! I have the coffee pot made, just have to hop out of bed and turn it on in the morning, then back in bed to do my sit ups.
Thanks for the reminder and guilty feeling!