2022 Resolutions List

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm a resolutions-type person. In 2021, I tried "no goals." Which was mostly great except it did not help me with health or fitness. Apparently I need goals in those areas.

1. I will do HIIT exercise every day for 4 weeks to increase mitochondria density. This should reduce fatigue. I plan to do this in the morning when I get home from dropping DS6 off at school, or at 9 a.m. on non-school days. If I miss my planned time, I will do it later in the day. I have 4 reserve days, which means that if I miss 4 days I will still consider this goal to be completed.
  2. I will use my bike for cardio conditioning every day from January - April. This will help me with heat acclimation and being fit enough for 4-H dog training group classes and for gardening. I have 32 reserve days. When I am successful using my bike every day in January (8 reserve days), I will reward myself with a bike computer that measures speed and distance.
  3. I will do moving meditation / yoga / stretching every evening. I will listen to podcasts while stretching as a reward. I have 104 reserve days.
  4. I will do a broth fast for 7 consecutive days. This intimidates me, so I've already started it to do it with @Trying2keepitReal I'm on Day 1.
  5. I will maintain a minimum of 18:6 time restricted feeding. I have 156 reserve days because I'm not feeling confident about this goal. I also made it 18:6 because of lack of confidence, even though I feel much better at 20:4 or 22:2.
  6. I will plan my meals 1 day in advance. This is my best strategy for maintaining dietary and fasting goals.

I want to obtain Fear Free certification(s). I've decided that running a business is not my thing, and I don't need income, so instead I will use my dog training skills in other ways to make my community better, such as volunteering at the local animal shelter and developing 4-H Dog Project curriculum.
I've been going in bursts and fizzles.

#1 completed
#2 eh, did less often than planned. Still time to keep going!
#3 failed! It contradicts #2! Poor planning! There's one spot in my house with enough floor space, and I put my indoor bike there. Whoops. I can restart in a couple months when I take my bike outside.
#4 couldnt do it. I did bone broth fast until I got dizzy. 2 days? IDK why it didnt go well.
#5 this has been much easier than I expected!
#6 I started planning meals a day in advance this week with cronometer app.

I was supposed to have a meeting with animal shelter this morning, but, COVID...

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok! New new year’s resolution. I need to learn to make some food besides Italian. I tried to make Irish stew yesterday and my mashed potatoes were all wrong and slightly disgusting. I want my kids to grow up with culture 🤣

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Ok! New new year’s resolution. I need to learn to make some food besides Italian. I tried to make Irish stew yesterday and my mashed potatoes were all wrong and slightly disgusting. I want my kids to grow up with culture 🤣
I have to hear more details on the 'taters. 😀

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to hear more details on the 'taters. 😀
Golden potatoes, unpeeled, boiled till soft. Drained, ricotta because I didn’t have any sour cream and raw milk.

Definitely didn’t taste like I was expecting. But mom uses the boxed stuff and so I’ve only had the real stuff at a restaurant 🤣. I need an Irish friend 🤦‍♀️

@baymule told me to just “peel, cut in chunks and simmer until you can easily stick a fork through the potatoes. Drain, mash, add butter.”

Sooo yeah. Definitely wrong,,,, 🤣😅

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Golden potatoes, unpeeled, boiled till soft. Drained, ricotta because I didn’t have any sour cream and raw milk.

Definitely didn’t taste like I was expecting. But mom uses the boxed stuff and so I’ve only had the real stuff at a restaurant 🤣. I need an Irish friend 🤦‍♀️

@baymule told me to just “peel, cut in chunks and simmer until you can easily stick a fork through the potatoes. Drain, mash, add butter.”

Sooo yeah. Definitely wrong,,,, 🤣😅
sounds right. try again and serve with lots of butter and salt?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mashed potatoes in "boxes" are real potatoes... honest... they are dehydrated potatoes...but they are usually nice and smooth and creamy. If you make boxed/dried potaotes with milk and a little butter they are pretty good. And they don't get soft, grow, or rot and smell!!!!
But for real potatoes made into mashed... @baymule is right. Peel, boil (gently simmer)... in water to cover, til you can stick a fork into them and they are soft. Usually in the 30 + minute range.... Drain, add a couple tbsp butter, and a little milk (do a 1/4 cup at a time) and mash. I "cheat" because I use a hand mixer rather than an actual "masher"... makes them creamy and smooth.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mashed potatoes in "boxes" are real potatoes... honest... they are dehydrated potatoes...but they are usually nice and smooth and creamy. If you make boxed/dried potaotes with milk and a little butter they are pretty good. And they don't get soft, grow, or rot and smell!!!!
But for real potatoes made into mashed... @baymule is right. Peel, boil (gently simmer)... in water to cover, til you can stick a fork into them and they are soft. Usually in the 30 + minute range.... Drain, add a couple tbsp butter, and a little milk (do a 1/4 cup at a time) and mash. I "cheat" because I use a hand mixer rather than an actual "masher"... makes them creamy and smooth.
I knew they were potatoes, just not quit the same experience. :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Every time I try to make mashed potatoes they come out like lumpy glue😂 my husband’s ancestors were Irish, I can feel his disappointment though he’d never say anything 🤣
I think the glue-yness comes from over mixes and releasing an abundance of the starches. Also, I warm up my milk and butter so not to chill the potatoes as keep them creamy