2dreams - Its Spring In Mississippi w/pallet bed pic

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
I personally do not have a source - trusted or not. So I purchased goats - but upon further reading and reviewing decided I am not sure I can go there completely. If and when I finally get to milk my goats ....
Yep, this is me in a nutshell. I am still hoping to get goats and try this but I am thinking I would have all these fears of "what if". However, I am going to keep reading up on this. And in the meantime, I will be continuing to look for a local source (wish me luck on this one).

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Raw milk can't legally be sold in Canada, so only people who have their own animals can have it. My uncle has a dairy farm, he no longer farms it due to retirement but he still leases it out to someone who farms it. When I was a kid we got milk from them in old-fashioned glass bottles and never had grocery store milk. Moved away when I was a pre-teen and moved on to grocery store milk, I remember thinking it tasted different. I became mildly lactose-intolerant when I was about 19 or 20. People have told me that there must be a connection between my inability to process milk and the change in our milk source, but there's really no way to know for sure.

I miss certain things like ice cream and cheesecake and actually drinking milk, but can have yogurt, some cheeses, and kefir so stick with those.

There is some debate as to whether or not humans should continue to ingest non-fermented dairy products after doubling their birthweight, as other mammals don't continue drinking milk after that time. But there's a lot of info out there, do your research and come to your own conclusions :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ummmmm Moolie - I have not heard about that. And never actually given much thought to other mammals not drinking milk after a certain time in their lives. I will have to research that as well. But I doubt I will give up milk as long as I can find something I can drink. Of course I am not giving up Cokes either and we all know how bad those are. But that is totally interesting and I love research so off I go. Digging

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey neighbor...is Brandon down around Vicksburg? I know... I COULD look at a map, but I'm being lazy :p Just wondered because i have several friends that would let me borrow a buck any time i want and they have Nigi's. maybe i could help you get your does did :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a friend who regularly sends me links about stuff, including my lactose intolerance, and there is a lot of milk hate out there:

http://www.live-the-organic-life.com/cows-milk.html
http://healthmad.com/conditions-and-diseases/milk-a-white-poison-ampgtleave-it-before-life-leaves-u/

There's lots more, but definitely do your own research. Since I can't ingest milk or milk products that aren't fermented, that's all I do. But my kids do drink milk once a day, and eat tons of cheese, yogurt, and kefir every day as well.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
ummmmm Moolie - I have not heard about that. And never actually given much thought to other mammals not drinking milk after a certain time in their lives. I will have to research that as well. But I doubt I will give up milk as long as I can find something I can drink. Of course I am not giving up Cokes either and we all know how bad those are. But that is totally interesting and I love research so off I go. Digging
Exactly.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, my son is a milk junkie so we started looking into raw milk sources and we started looking at goats versus cows and at the time we definitely didn't have space for a milk cow at our old house but it was a perfect fit for goats. We went with nigis because they could handle smaller spaces and were easier for me to handle alone since I am the primary caregiver :p That and they are so dang cute!

I just hated that I couldn't find milk anymore that wasn't fortified or ultra whatever or so altered that it didn't even resemble milk anymore. My daughter drinks it if I make chocolate milk but otherwise she doesn't really have much to do with it. We use it in cooking mostly but occasionally I'll drink a glass....sometimes goat milk has a bit of an aftertaste but you get used to it. Our friends have been pleasantly surprised.

Our breeder charges $50 for breeding and our girls are registered. She breeds for good dairy lines though and I really like that she focuses on milk production and good dairy conformation. She has 8 or 9 bucks for breeding and she was really helpful in determining who to breed my does with. My younger doe is a bit narrow in the chest so we bred her with a buck that was fuller in his chest in the hopes that the babies would be a little more broad. I like nigis too cause they are a bit of a surprise when they are born cause you never know what colors/patterns you're gonna get. They tend to be a little more varied in appearance and I like that.

Given all that, I would still like to have a Dexter cow to milk so I could make butter. :D That's the one drawback to goat milk.

I don't have the intestinal issues that I once had once we switched to GF and raw milk and I have found that my kids aren't pudgy like a lot of kids nowadays. I think that has to do a lot with nutrition. I have to be careful with my calcium intake because osteopenia and osteoporosis run in my family so I figured if I was gonna drink the stuff I may as well drink it in it's natural state.

I do think it is weird that we are pretty much the only species that continues to drink milk after weaning from mother's milk but we don't exactly have great dietary practices any more...as a species that is. The thing that gets me is that people look at me like I'm crazy for drinking goats milk but they don't even blink at drinking milk from a cow. What's the difference really....it's still milk from another species. More people in the world drink goat's milk than cow's milk.

Its interesting. I hope you're able to find a breeder....do you think you might be able to find someone with a different breed that you could cross them with or do you want to stay with pure nigi?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Wannabeefree - I am about an hour from Vicksburg - so not out of the question - but still a long way. Plus it involves a trip on the interstate which I totally hate. Around here if the posted speed limit is 70 you better prepare to go at least 90 and sometimes then they will run over you.

Rathbone - I did cut my intake down a lot. Coke at one time was about my only liquid consumption.

Lori - I much prefer goats milk to cows milk - Funny about people thinking you are crazy for drinking goats milk. People think everything I do is crazy. I live in a rural farming area and most everyone around me has no animals and no gardens. Well, when I say no animals lots of people have a horse or two. But nothing else.

Nothing against you horse people. I love horses. I even had a couple way back when.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My husband passed away Wednesday, January 25th. We had to move him from home to hospice on Friday. So I was able to keep him at home almost to the very end. ALS (Lou Gerigs Disease) is such a horrible disease. But his torture has ended and for that I am thankful. He is now free from the pain and torture that disease inflicted upon him. I will miss him very much as he was not only my husband but my friend. My go to source for all things mechanical. He taught me how drive the tractor, change all the attachments, run a chain saw and all the cautions that go with that operation. How to wire a light fixture, build a fence, install a wireing harness on a trailer and how to fix it when your son drags the trailer over a high spot and rips all the wiring loose. He laughed at me and my flighty, jump from project to project ways but never once did he say no. When I wanted chickens he rolled his eyes and said OK, I guess we need to get started on a place to put them. When I wanted rabbits, I got the eye roll again, a chuckle and his support. When I came home with goats (which he never wanted and was the only thing ever that he kind of discouraged me on), and even though his disease was to far progressed to allow him to do physical labor, we took a chair outside, and he supervised the fence building and shed building. He had a green thumb like no one I had ever met. There was nothing he could not grow. Flowers, vegtables, fruit trees all thrived under his hands. And with the patience of Job as I followed him around asking questions, he answered them all and let me get my hands dirty. Why was this imporant to me? Because in all my life no one ever took the time to teach me things. Everyone was always in a hurry to get the job done and did not want to stop long enough to make sure I understood the hows and whys. Not him, it did not matter if a 15 min job took 2 days. If I wanted to know how, he made sure I knew how.
No he was not a saint. LOL far from it. He had a temper like none I had ever encountered. Stayed mad for days when he got mad. Stomped around and if mad enough might even go outside and kick something. And if you made him mad enough, he might not stomp for years, but he might be mad at you for years. Fortunately, he never got that mad at me and it was always directed at someone else. Not to say I did not make him angry. Just not fit throwing angry. He could drink more than anyone I ever knew but you would never know he had taken a drink. That always amazed me. Half way into a bottle of vodka, he could still walk and talk like he had never had a drink. If you walked into the room after he had drank half a case of beer, you would have thought the beer in his hand was his first. Me, one beer and I am giddy. Probably because I only drink one beer a year.
For the most part though he was a very loveable, loving person who accepted most folks for who they were. He was never to busy to help a stranger or a friend.
Yes I will miss him dearly. But, I am also thankful that he has moved on and no longer has to endure another day with such a debilitatiing disease. He is at peace and so am I. I will do exactly as he expected me to. Carry On.
I would like to thank all of you who knew of my situation for you support, thoughts and prayers with special thanks to Beekissed for so kindly answering my questions and her support, Alycia for always knowing exactly what to say and when to say it, and Pam and her family for their help and support.

Latest posts