2dreams - Its Spring In Mississippi w/pallet bed pic

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
See as how I just had a snake encounter myself, a few days ago...im not laughing...well, yes I am... :lol: I am sure if that stick would have hit MY leg..I would have watered the lawn myself! Glad the doctors were right about the ticker! ;)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I will match Free, and offer a one up.:p

My son, after being caught/noticed doing his business outside, free range of course, LOL, told me why he was doing it around OUR tent.

He stated the his urine would trigger fear in the animals in the woods. I asked him why he was peeing throught the tent door? He said he was too scared to go into the woods to pee.

Kids are a HOOT!!!

ETA: to laugh with Wanda :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Well I have figured out why that snake looked so healthy. I am guessing that is the reason my girls egg production is down and also what happened to my eggs that my hens were sitting on. I kept blaming myself for not seperating them from the rest of the flock and all the hens fighting over the same nest breaking eggs.

Now I suspect the SNAKE. The last two days I have only recieved 9 to 11 eggs where I was getting almost 2 doz. DH also pointed out that I thought I had two baby chicks one day but the next day there was only 1 and it was smushed. I thought I must have been seeing things when I thought there were two and that the hens probably trampled that one chick.

Oh well, I guess I will have to figure something out because I really don't want to kill that snake. I am going to try moving the nest boxes a little higher and to a different location. Not sure the hens will go for that. But a few eggs occasionally is not a real high price to pay to keep a king snake around. I will just make sure that any sitting broodies are in a protected environment.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
He stated the his urine would trigger fear in the animals in the woods. I asked him why he was peeing throught the tent door? He said he was too scared to go into the woods to pee.
I just happen to be on the exact same page as your son. LOL

I would be peeing out the tent door myself. You do know there are lions and tigers and bears out there. Not to mention SNAKES

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL funny snake story 2dream

they sure take you by surprise...I know!!!! I am having tons of run ins with snakes right now also.

My Mom was walking from the dock and almost stepped on a big black snake cutting across the yard....WOOF! My Mom hates the lake let alone critters and especially snakes. So I don't think she has any intentions of coming down to the dock again any time soon..HA HA

My barns all have snakes. Great as rat catchers definitely...never harm a good snake. I use them as critter control....but GEEZ, I hate running into them big time! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Can you build a protected separate area for broody hens and chicks? I would think hardware cloth should do the job...

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Finally got a rain barrel and no rain in site. First it was floods and now I guess its going to be drought.
I have to water all my potted plants daily and the garden at least a couple times a week. Its only 91 with a heat index of 98. The humidity is so high that after standing outside for a few minutes you look you just stepped out of the shower. I walked to the chicken pen and was soaked with sweat by the time I arrived.

I will have to buy another fan for my rabbits this year. I also need to turn the fan on in one of the chicken coops. But I have to clean the thing first and just have not had a spare minute to get it down. Guess I will have to make time tomorrow. This afternoon was spent watering plants, trimming the lower leaves off the tomato plants, finishing up a rabbit cage and transfering my soon to be momma to the new cage. I know she is miserable in this heat. If I had known it was going to be this hot so early in the season I would never have bred her. Hope these babies make it as there won't be anymore until the fall of the year.

Here is a pic of my strange squash/gourd/whatever it is. I love the lime green color and the taste is like a squash only slightly sweeter.
Sure wish I knew what it crossed with last year.

106_100_0295.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
The only things I had planted last year that would cross with my crookneck squash were my pumpkins but my neighbor has gourds which could have crossed.
I guess someone around here could have had something else but that was all that was within about 25 acres that I know of.
I am guessing from the color it was the gourds but really don't know for sure. I do know they taste pretty good. Wonder what next years crop will produce.