30 Day Homesteading Challenge - October 2021

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is really easy. It's cheating for some of us here, though as we so it already.

I highly recommend that even if you live in an apartment, try making a small amount of jam or fruit butter. Frozen fruit is the way to go if you can't get very fresh and need to buy from grocery store. Jams work well for many things. Hubby's favorite at moment is with yogurt.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

😲 I have had access to explore wild spaces since childhood and have never seen (noticed?) these plants.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got my days out of order. Day 5 was Replace One Pantry Item. I have making dry mix for Lipton's Onion Soup mix on my to-do list but havent done it yet. I made hot cocoa mix today, but it isnt a new recipe for me.

Day 6 - Start a Ferment (again)

I had a cup of leftover sprouted wheat berry mash. I guess that can sit out for sourdough starter and I started a ferment 🤷‍♀️

Day 7 - Bake Bread

Baking bread isnt new to me, but starting with wheat berries is brand new to me! Mine were sprouted so I tried making bread. Its rising now, I will update. Its odd dough, I'm not hopeful.

Sprout wheat bread thread is here: https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/sprouted-wheat-berry-flour-and-grain-mills.16953/page-3

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm going to delay Day 8 - Research Animals until the next time I cycle through this challenge. I want to learn about pigs, but I am too short on time or energy to add another animal (much less a new species) in the next year. I won't have time to read about pigs in depth for a couple weeks. :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe red worms as an animal. Use them for composting.

earth worms are easy too. i use a mix of many species in my worm buckets. you don't even need an expensive set up if you watch what you are doing for moisture control.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Maybe red worms as an animal. Use them for composting.
hmm, maybe I should research them. I'm mildly interested but have been concerned about keeping them alive over winter. I don't think DH would appreciate an indoor worm colony. I've also mildly considered raising mealworms, but again, overwintering and not having them indoors have been my barriers to moving forward.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 9 - Learn [another] Kitchen Skill

Does finding my counter underneath the stack of dishes count? 😬 I have basic to intermediate cooking skills, I'm not really sure what I should/could learn or practice. Any inspiration?
How about something fun like a candy or mirror glaze or taffy?