500 pound boar!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is hot, Wilbur is wearing a fat suit and he loves to get squirted several times a day. So I oblige him and wet him down, then I wet down his laying place. Can’t make him a mud hole in this sand, so I just try to keep him a wet spot. I won’t spray him near the fence, he would wallow a hole the size of a Volkswagen bug in no time.

First I put water in his tub, he gets a good drink. Then I direct the nozzle where I want him to stand and he walks over there. Sometimes he goes and stands there waiting for me to spray him.

View attachment 8286

He has a hole wallowed out behind the mulch pile. The trees shade him all day, the mulch pile keeps the sun off as it’s going down. So I spray his wallow real good.

View attachment 8287

Today I was in the garden. Wilbur lumbered to the fence and said, “unt”. I tossed him a rutabaga. He sniffed it, looked at me and said, “unt”. Obviously he did not want a rutabaga. I went through my new gate and walked around his pen. I broke off a bouquet of sassafras twigs which he happily munched on. I offered him a Persimmon branch. “Unt”. That’s pig Latin for Nope. I offered him elm. He took it and ate it. So now I know that I am supposed to give him sassafras and elm twigs for his treat.

Unt -n Yent lanugaue of a southern hog

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wilbur did not get fed today. Tomorrow we load him up and we take him Wednesday morning for slaughter. Tomorrow my husband will back the trailer up to the gate, the trailer gate swings out and on the other side we'll use a cow panel. Open the 12' gate to his pen and squoosh a boiled egg. Toss it halfway in the trailer, toss a couple more up in the nose of the trailer. He'll hop in and slam the gate. Boiled eggs with an empty tummy makes it easy to load hogs. We are going to drive across a truck scale before and after we take him to slaughter so we can get a live weight.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wilbur did not get fed today. Tomorrow we load him up and we take him Wednesday morning for slaughter. Tomorrow my husband will back the trailer up to the gate, the trailer gate swings out and on the other side we'll use a cow panel. Open the 12' gate to his pen and squoosh a boiled egg. Toss it halfway in the trailer, toss a couple more up in the nose of the trailer. He'll hop in and slam the gate. Boiled eggs with an empty tummy makes it easy to load hogs. We are going to drive across a truck scale before and after we take him to slaughter so we can get a live weight.

I'm learning tricks of the trade :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tricks of the trade do not include a neighbor slamming the gate before hog has back feet in trailer. :he Insert profanity here. I bit my tongue nearly off holding back a load of pissed off. Neighbor thought he’d slap Wilbur with the end gate and make Wilbur jump in the trailer. Uhhhh..... What Effin part of 500 pounds of do what the hell I darn well please do you not understand? Wilbur squealed and jumped back. After that, no amount of coaxing or treats would make him put more than his front feet in the trailer.

We quit for awhile and tried again. Wilbur just didn’t want any part of it. We’ll try again in the morning. :rant:somad :rant :rant:somad :somad

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a wonder that my head didn't explode, I was holding in a lot of freaking mad. If he won't load after a reasonable time.....I'll shoot him and process him myself. I really don't want to, but he's going in the freezer one way or another.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tricks of the trade do not include a neighbor slamming the gate before hog has back feet in trailer. :he Insert profanity here. I bit my tongue nearly off holding back a load of pissed off. Neighbor thought he’d slap Wilbur with the end gate and make Wilbur jump in the trailer. Uhhhh..... What Effin part of 500 pounds of do what the hell I darn well please do you not understand? Wilbur squealed and jumped back. After that, no amount of coaxing or treats would make him put more than his front feet in the trailer.

We quit for awhile and tried again. Wilbur just didn’t want any part of it. We’ll try again in the morning. :rant:somad :rant :rant:somad :somad

Uggg...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ohhh bad neighbor! I hope you don't have to process him at home. It's a lot of pig!