500 pound boar!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck
That is one big pig. He doesn't really look that huge in the photo of loading him up.

This thread brings back this memory for me: One year there was a bear hit on the highway about 3 miles north of where my house was. It took out the semi-tractor and put the driver in the hospital. It was over 880 pounds, taller than a 5 wire fence and when they hung it in the taxidermist garage to skin it, the nose was touching the rafters and its hind feet were on the floor. The landowners near the accident site said they had seen the bear a time or two in the previous week in their back 40 and knew it was big, but had no clue it was that huge.

So wow, that is a big pig.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok folks! The suspense is over! Drumroll please...…………………………

And the hanging weight is...……………..

506 POUNDS!!!!

That is a LOT of meat. I sure hope he doesn't have boar taint. I explained to my husband that is a possibility. If so, then we will just have a lot of spicy sausage to eat LOL. We'll fry up a package of pork chops and try it out when we get him home. With no sows around to get his hormones up and the way we fed him, I don't think there will be a problem. For a purchase price of $100 plus processing, I think it's one heck of a bargain.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow! That is a massive carcass and he honestly did NOT look that big? Don't even mention boar taint :fl Either way, for that money, that amount of meat is a heck of a bargain! When are you getting him home?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is also possible that you can't detect boar taint. Evidently not everyone can. That explains a lot of the disagreements I've seen about taint!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
According to a prominent guinea hog breeder, if you cut off most of the fat from a pig with taint, you can grind in sow fat and it'll get rid of most of it. Also, brining and smoking will get rid of a lot of it. If you ever have a boar with taint, might be helpful. I'm going to stick with not eating boars. Too bad we can't ship them down to you, you'd have free meat the rest of your life! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey - ship me some too! :D

I'm on my second AGH boar and nary a hint of taint. But, I do hear that AGH's are not predisposed to having taint....:hu