$80 organic turkey....and

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder how many people will be able to afford those turkeys in this economy! That is ridiculous and someone really trying to make a GOOD buck on "organic." He can certainly try. Maybe there are more suckers out there will money to burn than I think. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do truly understand the cost in a way. I know the hard work on making fresh meats....but I see these prices and think, how can anyone truly afford them? they can't. not for one meal. Yea, many can buy, but I still think the majority wouldn't drop those costs on one bird.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I could not do it. $80 for a turkey. 12-14 lbs. (not including shipping yet)
A normal grocery store turkey that's 14 pounds would be $56 here, so that doesn't seem that unreasonable to me... but I know you guys get crazy good deals on turkey around this time of year... ours goes on sale for about $2.49/pound at our thanksgiving.

There is NO WAY I would pay $178 for a turkey... that's two weeks of my food budget for three people!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
FarmerChick said:
I could not do it. $80 for a turkey. 12-14 lbs. (not including shipping yet)
A normal grocery store turkey that's 14 pounds would be $56 here, so that doesn't seem that unreasonable to me... but I know you guys get crazy good deals on turkey around this time of year... ours goes on sale for about $2.49/pound at our thanksgiving.

There is NO WAY I would pay $178 for a turkey... that's two weeks of my food budget for three people!
Ditto this. And I see those ($80 range) prices at the Farmer's Market every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That said, I got a deal on my 15 lb organic free-range turkey when we had Canuck Thanksgiving last month, I waited till the last minute and only paid $54 :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have sales on now for .47 per lb.
and can get even cheaper with a big order and deal they give.
heck most times .37 or .27 per lb.

I can get a 14 lb. turkey for like $7-8

OF COURSE these are not organic in any way :D

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's why we're having a big ole chicken this year.

Cost:
$ 3.50 day old chick, black australorp
$15.00 worth of feed since April (estimated)
$ 3.50 butchering fee
-----
$22 for a 10 pound (or so) rooster named "Thanksgiving

Raised on laying feed (with the rest of the group), scratch, milo, bugs, grass and weeds. Plenty of exercise and fresh air. No steroids, hormones, or feed just to fatten him up. I guess I'd consider him organic but sure don't plan to certify my tiny plot of land!

BUT I plan to hit the grocery stores the day after Thanksgiving for discounted turkeys and hams. Will use for Christmas and to feed us the rest of the year.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
we have sales on now for .47 per lb.
and can get even cheaper with a big order and deal they give.
heck most times .37 or .27 per lb.

I can get a 14 lb. turkey for like $7-8

OF COURSE these are not organic in any way :D
lol... I can't buy a 3 pound chicken for $8 organic or not :)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use to be able to get a nice organic turkey for about 50.00 now about 75.00. Sorry out of my price range now. :( We can get a 20 lb butterball for 14.00 HMMM Thank I'll go with the buttha cap. :) I think we can live with a non organic turkey a few times a year. Sure I'll live.

It's said to see such high prices. Yes, I can understand why but only the richer people and those who just say what the yeah can afford them now. :(

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977, why is turkey so expensive where you live? Do they need a warmer climate?

Latest posts