saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just compost them. Just started looking into abandoning toilet paper altogether, though, and switching to cloth wipes - one of many inspirations I already found on this site within just a few days.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have used them for storage if you have things like craft tools this will work for?

I took a square plastic mini milk crate and stood them in on end, filling the crate. It creates a lot of little vertical compartments.

I'm saving them this year for seed starting. I read about it recently, have not tried it myself yet. I think the ends were folded under to create a bottom. Kind of like the homemade newspaper pots but I think this would be sturdier. I plan to try it anyway. :)

I'm going to be doing a lot of gardening experiments this year, hopefully, so we'll see. :)

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
saraltx said:
Just started looking into abandoning toilet paper altogether, though, and switching to cloth wipes
I switched about a month ago and was actually about to make this suggestion as it addresses the collection of toilet paper tubes in the first place, rather than disposal of them after the fact. I have not found it to be a hassle at all using cloth. I got a couple of microfiber face washer size clothes at the dollar store ($1/2) and hang one on the towel rail of the shower door. Use it for 2-3 days or so then switch it out for the second, while the first is washed. Feels much greener. I still use TP for, um, messier applications but use the cloth for liquids.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
HEChicken said:
saraltx said:
Just started looking into abandoning toilet paper altogether, though, and switching to cloth wipes
I switched about a month ago and was actually about to make this suggestion as it addresses the collection of toilet paper tubes in the first place, rather than disposal of them after the fact. I have not found it to be a hassle at all using cloth. I got a couple of microfiber face washer size clothes at the dollar store ($1/2) and hang one on the towel rail of the shower door. Use it for 2-3 days or so then switch it out for the second, while the first is washed. Feels much greener. I still use TP for, um, messier applications but use the cloth for liquids.
Sounds like a nice way of doing it. I will also start out using cloth for #1 and toilet paper for #2 and later decide if I want to switch completely. I also just yesterday started saving the results of #1 as garden fertilizer. It feels nice to know I can actually get some use out of my "waste products" and save water and money at the same time.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
saraltx said:
I also just yesterday started saving the results of #1 as garden fertilizer. It feels nice to know I can actually get some use out of my "waste products" and save water and money at the same time.
Oh haha - I didn't want to mention that in my first post on this forum but the same time I started using cloth, I also started saving fertilizer for my garden. I got the idea after reading the book "Holy ****" - a GREAT read by the way - and then looked on YouTube and found several videos of people providing ideas and tips for using it. I then decided to start a new compost pile as an experiment. I filled the compost bin with shredded leaves and found a plastic coffee container (wide mouth) to use for collection (us women have it harder than the guys that can just use a gallon milk container as the collector). Every time the container is full, I pour it into the top of the compost bin. As it is winter, I expect the results to be slower than in warmer weather and this is only an experiment anyway but....it IS nice to find an alternate use for household waste, than just flushing it.

ETA, the forum changed the title of the book from its original to "Poop". You can use your imagine to determine the "actual" name of the book.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Maybe we should start a thread on humanure? :D This is something I've been interested in for a long time. My goal this summer is to make a composting toilet.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm very interested in the humanure thing. I'll start a new thread to avoid hijacking this one. I don't see a gardening subforum, so I'll start it here under "Trash to Treasure", as it could be seen as a form of recycling.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Personally, I find the thought of using human waste as fertilizer to be repulsive. Perhaps it's the e. coli factor that freaks me out, or just the fact I know where (or rather, who) it comes from, but it will never be something I'll try. It might have worked for some cultures, but mostly because they didn't have much else.
I have to agree with you there. I can't imagine biting into a tomato I know was grown by my own poo :sick even though....well I guess mine are grown by my chickens poo...either way my own waste is a bit much to recycle back to consuming it just EWWW factor there big time!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
saraltx said:
I'm very interested in the humanure thing. I'll start a new thread to avoid hijacking this one. I don't see a gardening subforum, so I'll start it here under "Trash to Treasure", as it could be seen as a form of recycling.
:lol: :sick

Latest posts