A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Put a temporary fence around it and put some chickens in it. They will take care of the bugs.

Weed. :lol::lol::lol:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
after some research i believe the 20,000 cucumber beatles are what did my butternut squash vines in. they have also been hard on my green beans and my okra is more holy than the pope.

so tonight i got an idea. those little buggers are probably bedded down on the plants right now, i thought. so i grabbed an old chemical(bt) sprayer that hooks up to a garden hose. i poured half a bottle of palmolive in it and filled it the rest of the way with water.

with the hose and a flash light we let it rip on those bugs. way better than a spray bottle. they couodnt get away from the hose. before many of them could take flight i had the whole plant soaked. i hit all the plants several times chasing them around until i was out of soap. we will see tomorrow if the population has curved any

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
after some research i believe the 20,000 cucumber beatles are what did my butternut squash vines in. they have also been hard on my green beans and my okra is more holy than the pope.

so tonight i got an idea. those little buggers are probably bedded down on the plants right now, i thought. so i grabbed an old chemical(bt) sprayer that hooks up to a garden hose. i poured half a bottle of palmolive in it and filled it the rest of the way with water.

with the hose and a flash light we let it rip on those bugs. way better than a spray bottle. they couodnt get away from the hose. before many of them could take flight i had the whole plant soaked. i hit all the plants several times chasing them around until i was out of soap. we will see tomorrow if the population has curved any
I really hope it worked! Please let us know. Bugs are so awful in vegetable gardens. You do all that hard work and they ignore all the other plants and go eat what you are trying to grow :mad: I lost a few seedlings and my cauliflowers to them.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
results were marginal. maybe 25% less today than yesterday. i noticed more leaf damage from the bugs or the soap (idk which) than anything.

we will endeavor to persevere and we will be happy with what the Lord gives us

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Ok guys, now what do I do with the butternut squash? And how do I eat it?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Grate some into a bowl, sprinkle your (kids') favourite flavour jelly powder over it, stir it in and let it sit for awhile. Butternut salad :)

We have a thread here for zucchini recipes, we should do one for butternut and other squashes as well...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like to cut them in half and bake, cut side down, until tender...then turn 'em over and add some butter and a little brown sugar and scarf 'em up. If you prefer savory over sweet you can peel 'em, cut 'em into chunks and bake coated with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar - oh my! They're great in soup and I've even made a mock chili with them. Google has tons of recipes! Enjoy!!