A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah it sux losing livestock. But just like gardening, I'm learning as I go.

One of those does was giving me 10 or 11 kits per litter and the other was 8 or 9. They will be hard to replace. But I'm not gonna worry about it until I get a decent cooling system. If I have to I'll set low temp evaporators and fans on both sides hooked to a 5 horsepower condensing unit!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I had rabbits, they were in a barn with one solid side on the north side. The rest was wire and in the winter we put up plastic, but only on 1 side. The barn was in deep shade and no sun hit the barn. Now there is the radiant heat barrier that comes on rolls that blocks a LOT of heat.

I am sorry that you lost your rabbits. Who could see that coming? If I know you, you are reeling from this and kicking yourself. Don't let it get you down. We all have had losses that left us with that sickening pit in out gut. You live and learn, but why does it have to be so darn hard? :(

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its a problem and im a problem solver.

Im a hvac tech for cryin out loud. Just wasnt expecting 108°f +

Oh well. I got plenty of time to sort it out. The only real question is am i gonna just add misters and throw in some ice bottes, or am i gonna do something crazy so the wife can carry on and on about the electric bills?? Like maybe a chilled water pipe circuit for them to lay on or a refrigeration cascade system, or just build a rabbit shed thats holds 62°f all year so i can breed year round....

:lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of your loss :( That is some ridiculous heat and you couldn't have expected that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Build them a barn with good airflow. Lay plywood roof decking down, radiant heat barrier over the decking, then a metal roof. The radiant heat barrier can cut the heat by as much as 15 degrees. We had an extension built off the side of a portable building for the sheep and they LOVE to go lay up in there in the heat of the day.

7bbd93b2-94c5-4a5b-9566-cb60b9e7f656-jpeg.45494

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Once I posted that picture, I couldn't do anything else to that post. It wouldn't let me edit it either. I was going to add that picture was taken right after we put up the last trim board, hence the ladders, dog house and general crap laying around. Not very sheep safe! LOL One of these days we'll put up some sides to keep the winter wind off, but it mostly will be open. I can stand under the roof, take a couple of steps to out from under the roof and the heat hits me like a brick. That radiant heat barrier is da' BOMB!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh no! So sorry about your rabbits! They really don't like heat, and that is some serious heat. That's a big loss.

Latest posts