A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It has some scary recipes too! LOL

I have an old cookbook, circa 1930. For cooking lamb, it admonishes not to cook lamb rare, like the Europeans do, but to cook it the American way, well done! :lol:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive been studying (watching videos) on wartime rationing and old time cooking eating. We waste so much in america and eat like crap.

Not here tho. Tonight we had home grown chicken, turnip greens and candied carrots all from right here on the place. Good stuff.
The kids dont care for greens or having to eat buttered bread with dinner but they will come around.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180819_194450.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well the black eyed peas are doing very well in the raised beds. Perhaps too well. I wonder if planting them in virgin compost was a good idea. The other black eyed peas are up as well. They are taking thier time about it. The butter beans are up and doing ok. The carrots haven sprouted yet. The cucumbers are barely up. Just a couple tiny leaves on the soil surface and i planted peas today.

I still need to plant radishes, collards, beets, turnips, spinach, lettuce and....well im not sure what else. I just do what i can when i have time. Not getting all bent out of shape about it like i did in the sping.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My grandma canned meat with water bath....she had no electric, no pressure cooker & a wood stove. Made best bread you ever ate! Many things were fermented then as a means of preservation rather than health benefits. They dehydrated many fruits but, strictly solar. Heck, she ran a thread thru slices of apples and hung them outside in the sun, covered with cheesecloth to keep flies/bugs off. Now, THAT's solar drying:D Also canned a lot of fruits. Jellies were special as sugar was needed and rarely bought in quantity. Sometimes a wild bee hive was found & honey was collected and treasured.

There was a jug on the front porch, right out the kitchen door, with a plug of "mother" to make vinegar. Generally seeds were on a piece of paper, drying, to store for the next year. A crock or two was usually close, sauerkraut & pickles working.

I love the old book. Where were you lucky enough to find it?