A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well its been a rough few weeks. Seems unexpected expenses just keep popping up. Its nice that we have so much homestead wealth that we can just not buy groceries for 4 weeks and everything evens out.

Its been a good season for sure! All of our hard work pays off. Like a savings account!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well its been a rough few weeks. Seems unexpected expenses just keep popping up. Its nice that we have so much homestead wealth that we can just not buy groceries for 4 weeks and everything evens out.

Its been a good season for sure! All of our hard work pays off. Like a savings account!
It's a good feeling to have that "savings account!"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Like a savings account!

You & wife have done GREAT with your gardening, preserving efforts. Meat, eggs, veggies....Great!

One of THE best things about the hard work you put into it, it's there when you need it to pay back! Like my chicken eggs, goat milk. Normally there. Even with heat & molting, some eggs every day -- even for customers, so far :rolleyes:

My garden was a flop but, other avenues have opened and I have canned jams, fruit butters, frozen meals, veggies, etc. Butter, coffee, wine, PB&J, cookies, ice creams, paper products came from my job. I'm good. Could easily go a couple months without buying. Thankful to say that.

But, I DO PLAN to have a decent garden next Spring. With all the work it entails! I want a closet of canned goods like you have. :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Be proud of all your and your wife's hard work. It has paid off and will keep on paying off. The magic that is in a $2.50 packet of seeds and the bounty that it provides is mind boggling.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
More trees. More bushes. More sheet mulching. And we shoukd actually get a harvest next year too!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You guys have done amazing on your homestead, in spite of the challenges and losses. Those are unfortunately always going to come up, but look at the rewards!

What fruit trees are you planning to add and what is the plan now for the rabbits? I think of you and them sometimes when we go for a walk in the early evening. There are 2 houses near the edge of the village, set back a fair distance from the road, with a massive lawn in front. Across the road from those is another house with a tiny pasture fenced off next to it. The lawn and that pasture in the early evenings is a play ground for wild rabbits :love

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Im not sure what trees ill add yet. What ever dwaft fruit trees i come across i guess.

Im going to rebuild the rabbit cages and move the hutch in some deep shade