A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Leghorns are lighter birds, lay sooner. They are usually dependable, great laying hens!! Large eggs and plentiful. Mine who have leghorn in them, yep -- flighty & somewhat high strung. Most leghorns do not go broody & rarely have enough meat to make it worth butchering.

I have a group that were mixed with some blue egg layers and they have been both fantastic layers and super broodies. Eggs very pale blue and that disappointed but, other attributes made up for it -- except they cost me an awful amount! Kinda wild personality. The roos hatched were mean, in general & looked full leghorn. Good chicken salad. :D :idunno

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mine dont seem much different than any of the others.
All of mine have clipped wings because of the 4 ft fence.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How often do you have to clip them? That sounds like a pain! We keep heavy breeds for the most part, easier to keep in!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We even clip the heavy breeds. Maybe once every 4 or 5 months.
Trim the feathers on one wing. Works like a charm.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Days are getting shorter. Nights are getting colder. Went from getting 8-10 eggs a day to 1 today. Coyotes are within 50 yards of the coop tonight. Luckily the dogs are on top of things. May try cleaning the coop and laying down new bedding and see if that helps egg production.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Days are getting shorter. Nights are getting colder. Went from getting 8-10 eggs a day to 1 today. Coyotes are within 50 yards of the coop tonight. Luckily the dogs are on top of things. May try cleaning the coop and laying down new bedding and see if that helps egg production.

If you can try a 60 watt Bush bulb in the coop. If you can put it on a timer to equal your longest day light in the summer. I just burn mine 24x7 because I don't have a timer.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Na. Ill let them have their natural cycle. But if its predators or conditions bothering them im gonna fix it

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This time of year they molt. So on top of shorter days creating less eggs, molt will also. They shed and regrow every feather. Are you seeing feathers everywhere? Birds 1/2 dressed, LOL?

It's what they do. You won't see molt on birds that are a year or less. I know you've hatched a lot and possibly not had many older. :idunno They pretty much stop, or lay only every few days. Hey, I've got 50 layers, got 5 eggs today. Some days a dozen. Not the normal 3+ dz. My customers know to slow up, too.

I you use a bulb, be careful it isn't coated...forgot what it was but, the fumes will kill them! Since I don't light, not an issue here. They need a rest.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No kidding, I didn't know that! We don't light, but good to know in case we ever do. Prefer to let them be chickens!

Good luck with the coyotes. We're expecting issues this year. Bumper crop of acorns=massive influx of squirrels=lots of coyotes... ugh.