A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We ate our first Honeyboat Delicata squash tonight. I cut it in half, scooped the seeds, put two pats of butter in each half and baked. We even ate the skin!
upload_2017-6-17_20-17-25.png

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Update on the sulfar and powdery mildew.

The white/silver spots on the leaves are still there. That being said, it hasn't spread to any more leaves and we are getting new growth. I dont know that its a cure, but its a good treatment. Im going to give it a couple days and start cutting effected leaves off. Not all at once, though. I hope the sulfar will keep it contained and all the fungus will end up in the burn barrel

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well guys its summer time and AC techs are pretty busy. I have been running ragged and im far behind at home.
The chickens are up to 6 eggs a day now, we have a bunch of bunnies growing out, and the garden is a forest.
I may have went a little heavy on the fertilizer. It seems the plants are making more leaves than anything else. My okra plants are becoming bushes! Still get squash and zucchini daily. A couple tomato plants have green tomatoes and we have a few green beans on the bush beans. Hoping for a decent harvest if the heat doesn't kill everything first.

I plan on worming the chickens this weekend and hope that will help things out. And we should have a bunch more come into lay very soon. (Waiting anxiously).

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor is in commercial refrigeration, he barely sleeps. This is the season you make your money, but you earn every darn dollar of it.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well folks, last week was a rough one. It started terrible on monday when i found out one of my coworkers is going to be out for the summer and carried on threw til Saturday. Friday night after i found my dead does my wife called and told me her car broke down. It was just that kind of week. Needless to say i might have had an extra cocktail or seven with dinner Saturday night

But today is sunday! And its officially a new week! We got home from our mini vacation to the lake and found we had several big ole squash and zucchini waiting on us. The kids and I also picked a large bowl of green beens, 3 okra, and a bowl of blackberries. I have a bunch of green tomatoes and the corn is pollinating as i type. I also found my chicken wormer had arrived, but the dogs tore the box to pieces and the wife ran the bottle over. I going to say that happened Saturday because it just fits last week. But its sunday and we still have enough wormer to do 4 or 500 chickens left in the bottle!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I need to post pics of the garden. Its turning into a forest! It seems that okra with 14 inch wide leaves, squash with 24 inch leaves and 1 inch thick stems and sweet corn thats 6 feet tall is kind of big compared to most. My father in law is a farmer and he showed me his garden today. I might have to brew him some rabbit fertilizer so he can get on track.