A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, my lawn needs mowing so bad :hide It's starting to look like a jungle out there. In my defence though, we've had rain on-off for a week and the friend who's lawnmower I was hoping to borrow bailed on me. He bought a non-electric, non-petrol, non-anything but needing to push it number at Aldi. I'm going to see if I can find one when I go there next...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine too - that's on the list for today or tomorrow. Waiting as long as possible so it can dry out as much as possible before the NEXT round of rain next week... UGH

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well we ended up with more clippings than the coop could hold so they got a couple wheelbarrows in the run as well.

We got 6 eggs today. The norm used to he 7. Hopefully they are getting back in the groove. Still got a couple weeks before the young pullets start to lay.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are the white spots powdery mildew?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20170612_180247_zpsitckup6m.jpg
Are the white spots powdery

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seems it is. The guys down at the feedstore said to use sulfur . I went ahead and got a bag. Even if it doesn't work, its good for so many other things i figured its good to have on hand

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On line gardening site says - get plenty of air & sunlight (which you have) do NOT water at night, wet leaves promote this. Cut off leaves with the mildew & discard, do not compost them. Spray before onset with milk & baking soda mixture, diluted with water, to prevent :idunno
ETA: This might help....:lol: ...sorry, senior moment :old

• Fill the bottle with 1/2 quart of milk (typically use skim milk, but any milk will work)
  • Add 3 teaspoons of baking soda
  • Add one drop of liquid dish detergent
  • Mix contents well
  • Reattach bottle to sprayer. Attach sprayer to water hose and spray the top and bottom sides of infected leaves
  • Reapply solution once a week

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah theres lots of home remedies for preventing it. For every site i find recommending one thing theres another saying lab tests prove it wrong.

Im gonna try the sulfar and see what happens. If that doesnt work in a few days im going to make a detoction of cedar. I shoukd have thought of that first, but it didnt occur to me until i was on my way home.

Latest posts